Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capturing Footage in Final Cut Express

Options
  • 24-08-2010 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Trying to make the final move to a new iMac. Have most things transferred, and am running Windows 7 through Parallels 5.0. This presents several problems, because Windows is a Virtual Machine, and Parallels cannot see the Firewire Port.

Because FCE is so elaborate, I wanted to continue editing in Video Studio X3 Pro (Pinnacle Studio won't work on the VM). Up to now I kept the old PC running alongside and used it to capture the footage. I was hoping to capture in FCE and use Video Studio for editing/burning.

However, when I capture standard SD 16:9 (recorded on Canon HV40) this appears as 4:3 in both Video Studio and iDVD. I've Googled, and tried all the suggestions, but to no avail.

As FCE uses Quick Time to output the captured files, I can see a noticeable difference in the difference between footage captured on the PC and on the Mac.

I can leave the PC there and just use it as required, but I'd rather not.

Hope someone can help!:)

Cheers,

Freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Go to Easy Setup in Final Cut Express and change the default setting to anamorphic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

im...LOST wrote: »
    Go to Easy Setup in Final Cut Express and change the default setting to anamorphic.

Thanks. Got sorted a couple of days ago. Had to go through all the import settings one by one, as about 50% give that error message 'audio not in syc, blah, blah'. Ended up (I think) on 32 KHz anamorphic basic.

Managed to burn through iDVD, moving drop zone thumbnails, widescreen, etc. Very impressive. Interestingly, if you access the QT file though a Windows editing program, it only shows as 4:3.

FCE is a stunning program. Probably more than I need, and over complex.

It is nowhere near as user-friendly as Pinnacle Studio (and lacks the bells and whistles of studio's transitions and special effects) but is impressive nevertheless.

A pity that Pinnacle, Corel, etc do not produce Mac-specific products.

Advertisement