Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acer warranty service?

• 24-08-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anyone know how to get hold of Acer in Ireland or in the UK? I have an Acer laptop, bought in July, and the trackpad doesn't work. So, I filled in the online service form and a day later I received an email giving me a case number and an address of a company in Dublin 12 to ship it to, and a barcode with the same address to stick on the outside of the box.

So, I pack it all up, put it into the box, stick their shipping label on the outside of the box, and pay €25 to send it registered to them. 2 weeks later my case status still says 'Clear to ship'. So I check with An Post and it's still sitting in Dublin South parcel depot as the address on Acer's shipping label they gave me to ship to is invalid.

I email Acer and get no reply. I ring the Irish customer service number on their website and there's a voice saying that the number is no longer in service and telling me to ring another number. I ring the other number and it's not a valid phone number. I try the UK number and it's also out of service. I try the Portugal number (as it's the only other European language I speak competently) and it is not working either.

So... Does anyone have any experience with Acer and knows where I can go from here? Frustrated is not the word. I had problems with Acer in the past but thought I'd give them one more chance. Wish I hadn't now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What number did you call?

I just checked the 0818 202 210 listed on their site and it connected to an automated menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

Hi, I rang the 1800 927221 listed on their website and then 00448708531000 listed as the UK number and finally 00351 808300011 in Portugal. None of them are in service. Where did you find the number you posted there?

Sorry I saw the link you posted there with the numbers on. I got mine from the support site at http://support.acer-euro.com/phone.html - looks like they're all out of service.

I got through to a call centre in India on the number you gave me there, and they just repeated the address they already gave me on the shipping label, which An Post can't find, so I'm still no further forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Barry0 wrote: »
    Sorry I saw the link you posted there with the numbers on. I got mine from the support site at http://support.acer-euro.com/phone.html - looks like they're all out of service.

I got through to a call centre in India on the number you gave me there, and they just repeated the address they already gave me on the shipping label, which An Post can't find, so I'm still no further forward.

Jaysus their website is awful. Won't be recommending Acer based on that.

Try the UK number. You may need to find out what the real number for the uk is I don't know if the 870 will work from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

If memory serves this might be the number and address of the head of the UK customer |service". Give it a bash, this is in the public domain.

Andrew Parsonage
    escalations team
    info team
    unit m
    eagle rd
    plymoth
    pl75jy

0208 2833000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Your mistake happened back in July. I will never ever buy another Acer product again based on the frankly ridiculous standard (or lack thereof) of their support.

I had to send a €1500 laptop to AE technology in Banbridge (Acer's outsourced support centre for Ireland) three times, each time it coming back with new faults, while stripped down and filled with crappy budget components (I lost my very nice 1080p LCD screen for a sh1tty yellow-tinge one, extremely noisy fan, slower HD). Acer also lied about when they received it to AE (they have a "30-day or replacement" repair policy) on day 21 so they wouldn't have to give me a new one. It was only when I rang DPD (courier company) and got all the "signed-for" details, date etc. that the guy on Acer support chuckled and said "ok, ok". I had it back a few days later, still broken. Absolute beggar's belief. It was only when I threatened legal action that I got anywhere.

Jo Pascoe
    Escalations team
    Tel: 0845 146 1900

That lady eventually sorted it for me, although you probably won't get anywhere if they don't even have your laptop yet.

consultech wrote: »
    Your mistake happened back in July. I will never ever buy another Acer product again based on the frankly ridiculous standard (or lack thereof) of their support.

I had to send a €1500 laptop to AE technology in Banbridge (Acer's outsourced support centre for Ireland) three times, each time it coming back with new faults, while stripped down and filled with crappy budget components (I lost my very nice 1080p LCD screen for a sh1tty yellow-tinge one, extremely noisy fan, slower HD). Acer also lied about when they received it to AE (they have a "30-day or replacement" repair policy) on day 21 so they wouldn't have to give me a new one. It was only when I rang DPD (courier company) and got all the "signed-for" details, date etc. that the guy on Acer support chuckled and said "ok, ok". I had it back a few days later, still broken. Absolute beggar's belief. It was only when I threatened legal action that I got anywhere.

Jo Pascoe
    Escalations team
    Tel: 0845 146 1900

That lady eventually sorted it for me, although you probably won't get anywhere if they don't even have your laptop yet.

I feel your pain dude. The crapiness of the support site suggested to me the kind of experience your having. Acer Support = an afterthought or a no thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

I had an acer aspire 7 series a while back and had nothing but trouble with it. I emailed them constantly. They weren't very helpful and constantly tried the old "it could be software related" trick.

I feel your pain! All I know is that from my experience with them, I wouldn't buy another.

Well I finally got the laptop back from An Post. The package has an An Post sticker on it saying they couldn't locate the address on Acer's shipping label. I rang the call centre again and they say a courier will pick it up on Monday and bring it to the repair centre. I've had enough, when I finally get it back working it's going straight on eBay and I'll get a Sony.

Well I don't know if Sony will be that much better. My daughter got a VAIO at Christmas the web cam has gone twice since then. The lip around the cam is very flimsy. She has had to do without the laptop for several of those months.

• Advertisement

Well, the courier never came to collect the laptop on Monday, as Acer had promised. Rang on Tuesday and they said they would re-arrange for a courier to collect it Wednesday, and took the address again the third time. He never came Wednesday either.

So... An Post can't deliver it to the address Acer gives you, and Acer's own couriers just keep making appointments then not bothering to keep them.

There's no way any company could be this inept by accident, it must be deliberate. Looks like Acer have found a way to get out of their warranty obligations!

Their support site says it all. It looks horrible and it's difficult to find anything. They are determined to put as many hoops in to discourage people from claiming warranty as possible.

I find it funny that they are advertising quite a bit at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole company goes up the sh1tter in the next few months/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Im afraid to say that the OP is totally banjaxed.

My niece bought an Acer Aspire abroad, and brought it back here a few months ago. international Travellers Warranty, Invoice , the whole shooting gallery. It developed a serious fault. I phoned the Ireland helpline. Gave them all the details, They asked me to phone back in two business days when they would then escalate the situation.

To cut a long story short after attempting this six times over the space of a month I gave up, as each time I phoned I was told that they had not pulled up the records. I brought it to a shop who fixed it for me. ( They did a fanatstic job - PM for the name if anybody needs something fixed ).

I would never buy an Acer product myself after this experience, all that happens is you are thrown underneath the bus customer service - wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I bought an Acer projector (K330) from Amazon.de
    It stopped working as of Saturday night. Called today and given details as to what to do. Have to call UPS (will do first thing in the morning). Fingers crossed I don't run into the same problems.

Things going ok so far. UPS came the day they said they would. Able to track repair status online when given a case ID number. just got a call from ACER to give me an update- awaiting replacement part. So I can't complain yet.

After 6 weeks plus waiting a new projector is being delivered. Disappointed in replacement leadtime although updates are quite good and repair status can be tracked online but customer service is Indian which is a pain as you can't talk to the real people fixing it. Considering returning to Amazon for a different brand as have been put off by this.

Advertisement