Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fetac level 5 childcare.. chevron

Options
  • 24-08-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am thinking of doing this course. Is this a good enough qualification to get a job in childcare? It sounds better than the actual proper college one as that includes lots other subjects like computers languages etc. Also has anyone ever done a course with chevron. are they good. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Make sure and do the full Major Award and not the minor award. It is the same FETAC syallbus as what is on offer in VEC and PLC sector. The advantage of the public VEC colleges is that they assist you with placement and it is very hands on and contact while the Chevron course is distance and online.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

I am thinking of doing this course. Is this a good enough qualification to get a job in childcare? It sounds better than the actual proper college one as that includes lots other subjects like computers languages etc. Also has anyone ever done a course with chevron. are they good. thanks

Instead of doing this course through CHEVRON, I will advise you do it through FAS or Further Education college, it is the same Fetac major award, and at the same time, the FAS will be free, so also the Further education while CHEVRON will charge you thousands of Euros for this course, and CHEVRON may only offer Minor award, which is not so good in getting a job., so pls think about this.
    It is a year course through FAS and they will get you practical work experience through the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 muffinman11

yeah i think i will do it in an adult education centre but was just wondering about chevron is all.. also any ideas on the fetac course vs the college courses for childcare? are the college ones much better and would you be more likely to get a job by doing a college course or is FETAC just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the course does not include Work Experience and Communications modules, you will not get a full award. The full award can get you directly into childcare employment, but a partial award would not.

You need to do 8 modules including the two mentioned above. Languages would be unusual in Childcare.

If you do it through the VEC you will attend a Post Leaving Cert (PLC) college for one year Sept - June. You apply directly to the college. If you do it through FAS obviously you apply to FAS. Either way it would be a much less expensive way than paying distance learning fees.

yeah i think i will do it in an adult education centre but was just wondering about chevron is all.. also any ideas on the fetac course vs the college courses for childcare? are the college ones much better and would you be more likely to get a job by doing a college course or is FETAC just as good?

If you go through FAS and college, all leads to the same FETAC, but it is better through college or FAS because you have work experience with it. Enough work experience. so you can go for it now as most of the courses are almost fill up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I agree with the posters who are recommending going through FÁS or a PLC college. Other educational companies have fancy advertisements for FETAC courses (which are often part-time or half awards) and charge thousands, while PLC colleges/FÁS offer a full award (8 modules) for far less money. The Childcare course in my school only charges €200 in fees and many students are on a grant as well, which you may not be eligible for in a private college.

I can only give you the experience in my college, but a lot of our students walk straight into jobs. With the ECCE scheme and Community Childcare Subvention scheme, playgroups and créches are springing up everywhere. The rest of our students progress onto Level 6 Childcare or onto other Childcare courses and some use their FETAC points to get into other areas e.g. Social Studies. I have also have students get positions as SNAs in the past - it is getting tougher to get into these positions though.

With a PLC, you get out of it what you put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

Employers are going to more interested in the quality of the course rather than how much you paid to complete it.

I agree with the other posters - why pay out good money to do a course through a private provider if you can access it for either free (if you are eligible) or for a fraction of the price through either the VEC or FAS.

Check with your local VEC Adult Guidance Service and your local FAS Office to see if you can link into training with them. If you cannot access a full time progamme through the PLC sector you may be able to access a part-time option through the Back to Education Initiative (BTEI) - this is also part of the Adult Education Service in all VECs'.

You need 8 modules for a full Childcare Award @ FETAC Level 5.
    These include:
    • Child Development
    • Early Childhood Education
    • Working in Childcare (+ 10 days work experience)
    • Caring for Children 0-6
    • Work Experience ( + 10 days work experience)
    • Communications

2 electives:
    Popular electives include:
    Occupational First Aid
    Art & Craft for Childcare
    Understanding Special Needs
    Special Needs Assisting (Work Experience included)

Check out www.ivea.ie for a link to the websites of all the VECs' in the country.

Good luck

Vino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crazy crackers

hi all

am wondering if somebody tell me about my childcare qualification i recieved over 10 years ago means and its NCVA level 2 in childcare im just wondering is that equivelent to fetac level 5 in childcare??

many thanks

Yes, the modules described themselves as level 2 up till recently, the same modules are now level 5 since the scheme was restructured.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭celsy

what is the C.A.C.H.E diploma equivalent to now?

That course was much more extensive than the ncva level 2 now fetac level 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 niamh1988

im currently doing a different course with chevron, they give great notes and fantastic support, you get a cert for every module you complete

• Registered Users Posts: 1 avalanche1983

Hi all, I'm also seriously thinking of doing fetac level 5 in childcare and I've read your comments and recommendations to do it via FAS or college of further education...but the thing is...I have a baby and cannot afford to study full time and work to support my family and take care of my baby...the day is not long enough for that. So I'm also thinking distance learning and I found CHEVRON. Has anyone any experience with them? Do they give you Full Award? Is it recognised by employers? Am especially interested in that work experience module - do they help you to find a creche where you can do ur work experience or do u have to find it yourself? If yourself, then are the irish creches and nurseries likely to take u on board and let u do your work experience with them? I'm just worried that I'll pay thousands od euros and then won't be able to find a place for work experience. Please, any ideas on that?? I would appreciate any kind of information, thank you ;)

Hi all, I'm also seriously thinking of doing fetac level 5 in childcare and I've read your comments and recommendations to do it via FAS or college of further education...but the thing is...I have a baby and cannot afford to study full time and work to support my family and take care of my baby...the day is not long enough for that. So I'm also thinking distance learning and I found CHEVRON. Has anyone any experience with them? Do they give you Full Award? Is it recognised by employers? Am especially interested in that work experience module - do they help you to find a creche where you can do ur work experience or do u have to find it yourself? If yourself, then are the irish creches and nurseries likely to take u on board and let u do your work experience with them? I'm just worried that I'll pay thousands od euros and then won't be able to find a place for work experience. Please, any ideas on that?? I would appreciate any kind of information, thank you ;)

You have answered the questions yourself - ("I'm just worried that I'll pay thousands od euros and then won't be able to find a place for work experience"). I believe if you discuss with FAS and some of the further educations there are provisions for helping mothers like you, I cant say more than that. Most of the colleges lecture hours are not more than 4/5 hours in a day and some can be for 3 or 4 days, couple with the understanding of being a mother and there may be some assistance for you, I m not telling you not to attend Chevron, but mind you Chevron are in to do business nothing concern them with any of your personal problems. Pay and attend yr lecture nothing else as far as they are concerned. The decision rest with you, it is your life.

Chevron are offering the full certificate with all the required modules. So from that point of view it is ok.

A college or fas would not get work experience for you, but they would support and offer advice in finding it. Some local creches are accustomed to getting w/e people from their local college and would be open to taking them on. I have no idea whether Chevron would have this reputation.

A level 5 qualification is sufficient to get you into a childcare situation, again what individual creches opinions of Chevron qualifications is, I have no idea, but theoretically it is the same qualification. Why not ring a couple of creches and ask?

As to cost, if you have to give up a job to do the college or fas course then you would quickly break even with the Chevron cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gema17

Hi everyone, I know it has been a long time since the pst, but I am looking for some help for the childcare level 5 course, I am nearly done but I would appreciate some help

thanks

Advertisement