Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I was going back through a few pages and found a thread about lots of parking problems at ITT, just wondering if this has been resolved now? Starting in Sept full time and dont fancy having to arrive very early just to get a spot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

OMG dont even start about parking!!
    I left twice last year because the place was full at half 9!
    Havent heard anything, but I hope someone corrects me!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gs39t

Thats comforting! :eek:

Is there anywhere else to park, apart from the Square, which i imagine would be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nothing had changed last Monday when I went in to do a repeat.

As for parking elsewhere, the Student Union got offers off local carparks, done weekly student rates can't remember the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

usually if you are in before nine you will get a spot. if not! firstly lucky you on your course timetable and hard luck on finding a spot.
    However there was an arrangement made with the car park near smyths toystore "the underground one" i think you have to produce your student card and get some registration thing going, but it will still cost you rates were low enough though€1.50 - 3.00 per day or something. if you get on too the SU they will tell you the details.

davey101 wrote: »
    usually if you are in before nine you will get a spot. if not! firstly lucky you on your course timetable and hard luck on finding a spot.
    However there was an arrangement made with the car park near smyths toystore "the underground one" i think you have to produce your student card and get some registration thing going, but it will still cost you rates were low enough though€1.50 - 3.00 per day or something. if you get on too the SU they will tell you the details.

Abberley Court Carpark I think it was.

Best way to solve it is have car passes for students and imo priority should be given to students outside Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

Abberley Court Carpark I think it was.

Best way to solve it is have car passes for students and imo priority should be given to students outside Tallaght.

I actually wrote them an email with exactly that on it..
    Because I drive 40 mins to get into college, when there is at least 20 people in my class that are walking distance that drive..
    They came up with some piece of crap about people would be clamped regardless of any passes displayed. Load of crap!:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm doing a part time course, I assume parking is not an issue after 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I'm doing a part time course, I assume parking is not an issue after 5?

It can be bad up till around 6, and its still not great after that. Especiallly on those dark winter evenings and you have to park a mile away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    It can be bad up till around 6, and its still not great after that. Especiallly on those dark winter evenings and you have to park a mile away.
    That's just super! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I've been told a huge clampdown on parking on the grass occured last year...not good :/

Shall be fun trying to get a spot somewhere, doesn't matter how far away it is :D

• Advertisement

I've been told a huge clampdown on parking on the grass occured last year...not good :/

Shall be fun trying to get a spot somewhere, doesn't matter how far away it is :D

Was a fairly big clampdown, along with a security guy standing at the vistors spots and questioning everyone parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gs39t

Are all the parking areas within the college for students? I dropped around during the week and noticed the big parking area once you drive behind the college, but i also saw signs say 'dublin west further education' or something. Also noticed the clamping signs, do you need to get a permit then or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I think they put up a barrier at the dublin west education centre, so no you cant park there. You dont need a permit to park anywhere else but you will get clamped if you are not in a parking spot. I counted 8 cars clamped last year in the space of two hours so people should really wise up and either get in early or get the bus. I know people complain about clampers being d**tbirds and all that, and personally i have never been clamped but after what i saw last semester with how they went about clamping people i totally agree, S**m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

iirc, someone parked in front of the fire exit and classes had to be cancelled on health and safety grounds. That led to the clamp down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pluie

The clamping thing caused uproar this year, and I did think it was unfair that students were being fined because the spaces were being taken up by people who were shopping in the Square. Obviously it's not right to park in front of a fire exit, that's just common sense, but the college should come up with a decent solution which stops non-students taking advantage of the free parking.

pluie wrote: »
    The clamping thing caused uproar this year,

Sure lectures nearly had industrial action over it and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

It's not so much the public parking there - it's really just a case of too many students driving and not enough spaces. It's pretty ridiculous. Most of the cars are only a driver, no-one carpools. And I know a lot of them don't even need to drive. Rather than punish people for driving we should be encouraging them to do it smartly, like carpool or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I agree, people should carpool more, but it gets awkward with different timetables etc

I live in Tallaght, about 20mins walk from the college, and I have no problem walkin, but its the rain that forces me to drive. Esp since Ill have me laptop with me most days. I dont get why they cant extend the car park over the bottoms of the field.

Advertisement