Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant afford college- no assistance

Options
  • 24-08-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭

Basically, just got my place in UL. Anyway, only my father works in the family, have one brother in secondary school. Was told by the county council when I applied for a grant our income is above the max levels- rubbish really when we dont have very much money at all. Appealed the grant, included evidence of our outgoings, proof that I cant afford to go to college without some form of assistance- even if the registration fee was paid it would be a help. Basically got a letter back this morning saying my appeal was refused, same rubbish on it about them assessing it in line with guidelines etc. Am I wasting my time appealing it to the department of education? It just angers me a small bit that many people are able to fiddle the system and get maintanence grants of the highest amount when they are earning similar amounts to my dad, yet, I was honest with them and as a result cant have anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Basically, just got my place in UL. Anyway, only my father works in the family, have one brother in secondary school. Was told by the county council when I applied for a grant our income is above the max levels- rubbish really when we dont have very much money at all. Appealed the grant, included evidence of our outgoings, proof that I cant afford to go to college without some form of assistance- even if the registration fee was paid it would be a help. Basically got a letter back this morning saying my appeal was refused, same rubbish on it about them assessing it in line with guidelines etc. Am I wasting my time appealing it to the department of education? It just angers me a small bit that many people are able to fiddle the system and get maintanence grants of the highest amount when they are earning similar amounts to my dad, yet, I was honest with them and as a result cant have anything.
    contact UL and ask about the student assistance fund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement