Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldendoodle!

Options
  • 24-08-2010 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

HI all, just looking for someone who might know where I can find a breeder of a Goldendoodle or Labrdoodle. I have made an informed decision and have decided these two hybrids would be suitable for me and my family.

So if anyone knows of anyone or of any litters please contact me

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

annieh5 wrote: »
    HI all, just looking for someone who might know where I can find a breeder of a Goldendoodle or Labrdoodle. I have made an informed decision and have decided these two hybrids would be suitable for me and my family.

Thanks!

WTF is a Goldendoodle!!! Never heard of one myself, these hybrid names, IMO, are gettin ridiculous now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 annieh5

Its a mix of a golden retreiver and a poodle. About three years ago it was quite common but now less so I think...unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

I just had to check this. I thought they were a myth or that St Patrick had chased them all out or something but no ...

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/dogs/for-sale/Ireland/Labradoodle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Just wondering why did you decide on this cross? Always curious.... I have had many experiences with lab mix poodle and golden retriever cross poodle....both very different. They vary a huge amount. Some are huge! I worked with one that people kept confusing as a wolfhound!!! Nice temperament but frequently nervous or highly strung, smart but coat needs so much care and very very few are non shed. Also be careful with a poodle mix as they frequently have stomach and ear problems.

Also just in case you are looking there are quite a lot of lab poodle mixes in rescue! Most look like giant wire haired terriers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

scudzilla wrote: »
    WTF is a Goldendoodle!!! Never heard of one myself, these hybrid names, IMO, are gettin ridiculous now

Have to agree with you. They are basically mutts, no matter what fancy name you give them they are just mutts!

Best advertisement for one of these was for a dog which was 1/2 Springer X 1/2 Neighbours Sneaky Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

annieh5 wrote: »

Thanks!

I'm assuming that this informed decision you have made has taken into account the massive number of health issues these breeds are suceptible to! I will never understand why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to produce a poodle/labrador hybrid :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Have to agree with you. They are basically mutts, no matter what fancy name you give them they are just mutts!

Best advertisement for one of these was for a dog which was 1/2 Springer X 1/2 Neighbours Sneaky Dog.

Spreakys you mean? :pac::pac:

OP i'm not sure what I can offer. Just that I know a couple of labradoodles and they're bigger than my golden retriever, seem a bit flighty and the coat looks like a brillo pad of hassle to groom! They just look like crosses - not that there's anything wrong with that just that I don't know why people would pay for a cross breed when there's tons of them in pounds waiting for somebody to take them in. I'd be interested in why you've picked this kind of hybrid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

I have a 12 week old goldendoodle which I got in Kilkenny 4 weeks ago. All going well so far with no shedding but I know its still early days yet. Suprised he hasnt shed yet actually.

Very smart dog and although this is my 1st dog many people have commented how clever he seems to be. He's about 5kg now and he is 12 weeks. They look a lot bigger due to their coat.

I'm very happy with him as is my husband whom I had to persuade to get a dog.

Happy Hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yolanda - best of luck with your new puppy! Re shedding, many pups don't shed so young. So I hope it keeps up for you but don't be suprised if your lovely clean little pup suddenly becomes a shedding machine!! It happened with my dog at about 6 months. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

There is a Golden doodle breeder in Kilkenny who currently has puppies for sale on done deal.

There is a couple of labradoodle breeders in Wexford who also currently have labradoodles for sale.

I bought an F1B labradoodle from a breeder in Wexford in March, he is a fantastic dog - brillant with everyone. It took 4 days to house train him, he is lead trained and doesn't pull, he can also do loads of tricks.

I would full recommend these beautiful dogs to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

How do the goldendoodle or labradoodle owners deal with the costs of clipping and grooming? I work with a girl who has a labradoodle (a bundle of insanity called Lenny) and she was saying her husband has told her to do a groomers course because the cost of the full monthly groom is a little heavy on the pocket. Her guy was never trained to be used to brushing, so he gets dreadlocks and has to be shorn at the groomers once a month. Don't think that part occurred to her when she wanted a non-shed dog (and yes, he does shed).

I think the assumption with a potential non-shed dog is that he'll also be low maintenance on his coat. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

How do the goldendoodle or labradoodle owners deal with the costs of clipping and grooming? I work with a girl who has a labradoodle (a bundle of insanity called Lenny) and she was saying her husband has told her to do a groomers course because the cost of the full monthly groom is a little heavy on the pocket. Her guy was never trained to be used to brushing, so he gets dreadlocks and has to be shorn at the groomers once a month. Don't think that part occurred to her when she wanted a non-shed dog (and yes, he does shed).

I think the assumption with a potential non-shed dog is that he'll also be low maintenance on his coat. Hmmm.
    they need to be brushed out 3-4 days a week to remove the dead hair otherwise your going to run into matting problems with them, also using a shampoo+conditioner helps weigh the coat down making less tangles that lead to matts and when you go to the groomers get a cut thats going to last more than 4 weeks

yolanda wrote: »
    All going well so far with no shedding but I know its still early days yet. Suprised he hasnt shed yet actually.

QUOTE]

Puppies don't shed.....you won't know if he does shed or not until he is about 10 months-ish.

Make sure when you do have him groomed that they also do his ears....with curly coats they have huge tendancy to infections and also hearing difficulties due to dense hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

suziwalsh wrote: »
    yolanda wrote: »
    All going well so far with no shedding but I know its still early days yet. Suprised he hasnt shed yet actually.

QUOTE]

Puppies don't shed.....you won't know if he does shed or not until he is about 10 months-ish.

Make sure when you do have him groomed that they also do his ears....with curly coats they have huge tendancy to infections and also hearing difficulties due to dense hair.
    you can pluck the ears at home yourself and cut the nails . just get a tight cut off the groomers when you bring the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

A friend of mine has two golden doodles, one has the golden retriever hair that sheds the other has the poodle hair that does not which requires lots more grooming than the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lady Thor

I have two Goldendoodles, they are very intelligent dogs&dont suffer the inter breeding related problems of some over bred pure breds! This is prob why they are so popular as guide dogs in Ireland

This is an old thread and they arent as popular as people think as guide dogs and can suffer from skin issues and sensitivity problems just like many other breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I love this kind of dog!! good choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Shouldn't they technically be called Goldenroodles? The D comes from the labrador part of labradoodle presumably... :pac:

With cross breeds like this can their size, coats etc vary a lot depending on how much of each dog the puppy inherits? Seems mad to consider them a breed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement