Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring courses

Options
  • 24-08-2010 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I know its a bit early still but:
    I got Geomatics in DIT and not too chuffed about it, although would like to do a geography based course.
    Is it possible after a few months or even a year to a geography based course in UCD or Trinity for the 2nd year if a place becomes available from drop outs?
    thanks in advance,
    DDEF.

Comments

Yes - if you have enough points for the course, and there aren't timetabling issues, and if the school/department accepts you. People transfer between colleges all the time. Give the relevant Admissions Office a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

ddef wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I know its a bit early still but:
    I got Geomatics in DIT and not too chuffed about it, although would like to do a geography based course.
    Is it possible after a few months or even a year to a geography based course in UCD or Trinity for the 2nd year if a place becomes available from drop outs?
    thanks in advance,
    DDEF.
    If you mean move into second year of a course, you'd have to make sure that you've done enough in the first year of the course in DIT to move. If the modules weren't similiar in DIT and UCD you may have to go back into first year...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jessychan!

I have a similar question I got science in Trinity but I want to study speech and language therapy...is it possible to transfer after a year or so?

jessychan! wrote: »
    I have a similar question I got science in Trinity but I want to study speech and language therapy...is it possible to transfer after a year or so?
    Did you get the points and requirements for SLT? The modules you do in science (chemistry, biology etc) are very different to the modules taught for SLT, so you definitely couldn't skip 1st year. Colleges do internal transfers, you could get some information from emailing them, but you'd need the points. You'd also have to pay fees for going back into first year SLT after doing 1st year science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Basically you can't switch into course that you don't have the points or requirements for, you can't skip a year of another course when the one you're doing is unrelated, and if you drop out of a course after a year and do the first year of another course you'll lose your grant, or have to pay fees for that year.

So think carefully before accepting an offer, it might be more worth your while looking for a PLC or repeating if you have your heart set on another course.

• Advertisement

Lawliet wrote: »
    Basically you can't switch into course that you don't have the points or requirements for, you can't skip a year of another course when the one you're doing is unrelated, and if you drop out of a course after a year and do the first year of another course you'll lose your grant, or have to pay fees for that year.

So think carefully before accepting an offer, it might be more worth your while looking for a PLC or repeating if you have your heart set on another course.
    Both unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CreamCrackers

I got a place on the B.A course in Pats, drumcondra. I should be thrilled because its my first choice but in the end I wanted my second choice. I was basically convincing myself al year that I wanted Pats because I will be going into teaching and so I put it first even though, deep down, I wanted arts in Maynooth. I am planning on sticking it out for the year at least but I'm not sure if transferring will be worth it.You see, I wanted to take psychology or Law in Maynooth along with Irish and Geog, which I can teach. So after a year in Maynooth Id have the option of teaching or doing something else with the other subject. But, I went to psychology talks in various colleges at the open days and I didn't seem to like the sound of it. But these days the idea of teaching is driving me crazy! I did want to teach from an early age though so it is likely to end up that way. But I want to have the option of working abroad but Irish kind of limits me to here. Also, apparently if I transfer if have to pay fees.This is only an idea if I dont like Pats but is it worth it??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im having a similar thing too. i got my 1st choice humanites in DKIT where i be studying history, archaeology and computer stuff. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately maybe about repeating, transferring, waiting a year etc... cos i still dont really know what I wanna do!:confused:
    Cos these are the things i wanted to do teaching, journalism(but was told i wouldnt get very far due to hearing impairment, so that was that out of the window), then Archaeology but i havent really like doing history for the last 2 years cos i had a very bad teacher and kinda lost my passion for it due to that i think.
    Theres about 12 people in my year repeating but i just dont think i could stick doing 2 yrs work in 1 year cos it was as stressful enough doing 2 years!
    So this is my new plan give DKIT a go, and if i really like my archaeology studies im going to try and transfer to sligo it where they have a good archaeology programe.
    My other plan is to just stick out the 3 years and get a masters in something, do that tefl thing and teach aboard!
    So thats my plan, hopefully 1 of them will work out

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Im having a similar thing too. i got my 1st choice humanites in DKIT where i be studying history, archaeology and computer stuff. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately maybe about repeating, transferring, waiting a year etc... cos i still dont really know what I wanna do!:confused:
    Cos these are the things i wanted to do teaching, journalism(but was told i wouldnt get very far due to hearing impairment, so that was that out of the window), then Archaeology but i havent really like doing history for the last 2 years cos i had a very bad teacher and kinda lost my passion for it due to that i think.
    Theres about 12 people in my year repeating but i just dont think i could stick doing 2 yrs work in 1 year cos it was as stressful enough doing 2 years!
    So this is my new plan give DKIT a go, and if i really like my archaeology studies im going to try and transfer to sligo it where they have a good archaeology programe.
    My other plan is to just stick out the 3 years and get a masters in something, do that tefl thing and teach aboard!
    So thats my plan, hopefully 1 of them will work out

my advice to you would be to try the course and transfer after the 1st year if you don't like it. Don't just 'stick it out' if you hate it. You be better off transfering and facing fees than doing something you hate. Thats my plan anyway!

DKIT is less than 10mins from my house, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

my advice to you would be to try the course and transfer after the 1st year if you don't like it. Don't just 'stick it out' if you hate it. You be better off transfering and facing fees than doing something you hate. Thats my plan anyway!

DKIT is less than 10mins from my house, ha
    Yea thats what i think im going to do! Im about 20 mins away!
    Thankies for the reply=)

• Advertisement

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Yea thats what i think im going to do! Im about 20 mins away!
    Thankies for the reply=)

no worries!! :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 11 elz10

my friend has just got a place in UCD but hates it and wants to transfer to UL, is this possible and how should he do it?

elz10 wrote: »
    my friend has just got a place in UCD but hates it and wants to transfer to UL, is this possible and how should he do it?

Generally after the college semester starts, transfers don't really happen. He should go to the head of his department though to see if it is possible. What course does he want to transfer from/to? He should try give it a chance if hes only been there a week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Ask the relevant admissions offices, but I do know several people who have tried transferring after a year or so, and it just doesn't really happen. Either you have to start again in the new course, if you've achieved the requirements, or they just outright say no. Having said that, you're better off to have a year of something under your belt than nothing at all.

Advertisement