Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home ec food studies assignment 2011

Options
  • 24-08-2010 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm repeating my leaving cert, and want to get the assignments for home ec started - and finished- as soon as possible. However, I can't find the briefs for them anywhere, I've tried everywhere online but to no avail. Can anyone help me out please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I'm in the same boat! I am repeating my LC this year also I previously did it in 2007 so im extremely lost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

Assignment A. No. 1

Young children require a diet tailored to their needs.
    Research and elaborate on the nutritional needs and the meal planning guidelines that should be considered when planning meals for children aged 12 to 24 months. Having regard to these considerations, investigate a range of main course dishes for a family with children of this age. Suggest modifications that may be made to the dishes to ensure that they are suitable for young children. Prepare, cook and serve one of the main courses suitable for the family’s main meal of the day. Evaluate the assignment in terms of (a) implementation and (b) the specific requirements of the assignment.

Assignment B. No. 3

Microwave ovens are very useful as they are energy efficient and save time.

Carry out research on microwave ovens in relation to each of the following:
    - The different types available
    - Uses i.e. To include foods/dishes that can be prepared or cooked using this piece of equipment
    - The application of the working principle
    - The key points essential for successful use of the microwave.
    Prepare, cook and serve one of the dishes you have investigated.
    Evaluate the assignment in terms of (a) implementation and (b) the advantages and or disadvantages of using a microwave oven.

Assignment C. No. 4

Home baking is becoming increasingly popular for many different reasons.
    Carry out research on (i) the rise in popularity of home baking and (ii) commercially available confectionery (range of products, prices, etc.).
    Investigate one method of making muffins or cupcakes. Elaborate on the method and explain the principle involved.
    In relation to the product chosen (muffins or cupcakes), list the variations that can be made. Describe how you would store the product in order to keep it fresh.
    Prepare and bake one of the products (either muffins or cupcakes) that you have investigated. Evaluate the assignment in terms of (a) implementation, (b) the practicability of home baking, and (c) cost of home baked product in comparison to a similar commercial variety.

Assignment D. No. 5
    In food preparation many foods are made lighter by the introduction of air, carbon dioxide or steam.

Define ‘aeration’.
    Investigate the culinary applications of aeration in the making of a range of dishes explaining the principle involved in each case.
    Prepare, cook and serve one of the dishes that you have investigated.
    Evaluate the assignment in terms of (a) implementation and (b) success in achieving the desired texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

Hope this is helpful for you guys to get started. I, unfortunately, didn't have them in a file format. I didn't do Assignment E- Sensory Analysis so I don't have that.

The second Assignment A is based upon glycaemic index and healthy eating. I don't have the official assignment but I can give you the main points in which you need to carry out for the assignment.

Investigation
    1. What is the Glycaemic Index?
    2. Benefits of a GI diet
    3. Meal planning guidelines for an individual attempting to maintain a healthy weight.
    4. A menu for a day for this person.
    5. Suitable main dishes
    6. Pick one main course dish and prepare, cook and serve it.

Implementation remains the same as per other assignments.

Evaluate in terms of:
    1. Implementation
    2. Specific requirements of the assignment

Hopefully, this information will help you guys to get the assignments started!
    I know how time consuming they can be. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OrlaX

Thats brilliant, thank you so much!! Off to the library tomorrow morning :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Repeat2011

i'm stuck on assignment four, have no notes or information from my teacher, decided im goin to make cupcakes but i'm stuck after this! can anybody direct me at all???:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Unless your in a specific class for repeats your pretty much on your own- unfortunately- Anyhow you start with

an intro on why home baking has become more popular: cheap, easy, ppl are more aware of what is in their food and want to control it, nutritional awareness, tv chefs etc.

Second a bit of research on the types of confectionary on the market- define confectionary, then go through a range of what is in the shops- types prices flavours packaging etc.

Thirdly- Pick a method of making cupcakes- creaming is easiest to talk about and you did it at junior cert. Explain how cupcakes are made by that method and why each step is taken.

Next list out some variations of cupcakes you can make by the creaming method.

Explain how you would label and store them (at home)

State which type of cupcake you intend to make, what book/website you got the recipe from and why you have decided to make it

your done

thanks!!:) do you know how many points must i write on "the practibility of homebaking" or what topics, i cant fin anything n textbooks r internet??

Practicibility only means how practical is it to bake at home- so 3 points is loads- just link back to what you have said in the investigation- its cheap and easy the equipment is easy to buy and inexpensive, very little skills are needed etc etc

off to finish my journal n hand it up tomorrow, thanks a million!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Journals dont have to be handed up until monday...? Take your time doing it, I made a huge mistake rushing it and had to get a new journal! :(

• Advertisement

journals should be in before the 8th- Hand up as soon as you can- get it out of the way!! Its great to know youve one part finished and done with and now you can concentrate on the rest of the course!!

Good luck

starting journal, oh god!!!:O have to be sent tomorrow as far as i know!! good

starting journal, oh god!!!:O have to be sent tomorrow as far as i know!! good luck with finishing yer's!!:)

Advertisement