Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would a 1.6 astra be capable of pulling a transporter trailer?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Need to tow a car shortly and would prefer to get a car transporter trailer rather than towing due to safety and ease. Would my 1.6 astra be capable of pulling it? Not too bothered about how fast it would be capable of going as long as its not snailing along. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes if its empty. Otherwise it would be illegally overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pulled a 4 wheel trailer with a 1.6 primera (had a small lathe on it)

couldnt get much over 40mph wouldnt do it again tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I would be more concerned about the ability of the same car to stop, if a transporter is behind it!

Anyone considering such a set-up should be banned from the road. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

If its a single axel trailer yes, twin axel no.

I totally agree with Gopher here, madness!! if its only a short trip and towing it is an option tow it, if your gettin a transporter borrow a jeep or something that will be able to stop if you need to!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

Would it be ok if the trailer is braked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I think the biggest issue here is the legality of it. The car could probably tow anything from a mini trailer with a bag of sand to a 16 foot tri-axel job with several tons on board it doesn't mean you should do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

Thanks for yer replys, Im not bothered about the legality of it, just want to know would it be safe to tow if the trailer is braked?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

You need an EB licence to tow a car transporter trailer with a car plus it would be illegal and dangerous to do so. The trailer will weigh at least 500kg, add at least a tonne for what you are moving and the astra will be pushed all over the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

if the trailer brakes are working ok yes it would be safe, a double axle would be far safer than a single, it is vital that the load is positioned correctly on the transporter, I used to carry a 3 tonne tractor on a 3 axle ifor williams trailer behind a jeep, and even 3 inches too far forward of back and it would swing you off the road ,

stopping and the risk of jack knifing are the biggest dangers ,

Advertisement