Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall mounting a TV ???

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm mounting a tv on the wall but am wondering what is the tidiest way to run the cables , I would prefer to have them hidden but do I have to run seperate cables for all my systems ???
    Thanking you ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

are you using an amp?

if so and its a fairly new one you can route all signals to the amp and only have one hdmi to the tv.

alternative is to chase out the wall and put in trunking to put cables in.

or mount it on a floating wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=4976:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulyt33

As its a new build I'll be able to run the cable hidden , but I'm wondering what cales should I run , I 'll have the usual Sky box , dvd player and hi fi linked up , What do I need to run ???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

paulyt33 wrote: »
    As its a new build I'll be able to run the cable hidden , but I'm wondering what cales should I run , I 'll have the usual Sky box , dvd player and hi fi linked up , What do I need to run ???

What I done when getting a new build was the following :

I had every room in the house wired with 2 Triax TX100 Satellite Cables back to a room underneath the stairs (Bedrooms/Kitchen /Dining room/Sitting rooms/)

You could always have them ran to where your sat dish will be placed , just ask an installer where he would be putting your sky/FTA dish. It looks a hell of a lot cleaner than having cables ran along the outside of your house.

In the Main Sitting Room I had it wired for Surround sound before hand also,

I also Ran two HDMI's from the over the fireplace where I planed to place the TV back into the corner of the room where I planed to place the Sky receiver/Blue Ray player /PS3

Had 3 phono cables ran through also , as well as run of coax cable back to the corner , just incase I wanted to use DTT, my TV that I was buying had an MPEG4 tuner on board.

I had 2 cat6 cables ran to every room in the house also , just in case I would ever need it , even in the bathrooms ! better to be looking at it than for it !

I also had a sneaky plan to have some sort of a cinema room in our smaller sitting room , so I had a socket placed on the ceiling and AV connections behind a blank plate (surround sound wiring around the room also) .

I sent in the spec to the Electrical contractor and he came back with an outlandish bill of €5500 ex vat to supply and fit the cables ,

I bought good spec/quality cables my self and had a mate who is a sparks fit them and I gave him a hand , took us a day and a half and cost me a little over a fifth of the cost of the electrical contractors quote.

The builder originally said I could not supply or put in the cable myself but its a buyers market and he soon changed his tune when I told him I would not be going ahead with the house if I was not allowed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭20/20

pistolpetes11 Just curious as Iam also wiring up a house at the moment but why did you put 2 cat6 cables into every room incl bathrooms.What is the point of cat6 ? i thought it was to provide broadband,what was wrong with wi-fi.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

20/20 wrote: »
    pistolpetes11 Just curious as Iam also wiring up a house at the moment but why did you put 2 cat6 cables into every room incl bathrooms.What is the point of cat6 ? i thought it was to provide broadband,what was wrong with wi-fi.

With twin Cat 5/6 or 7 cables you can use them to stream Standard or HD to your source. I have my Sky+ HD box in the living room fitted with the magic eye and RF-Out, however the RF-out picture quality is rubbish so I ran two Cat5 cables from Living room to bedroom and fitted a HDMI splitter and balun at the living room end and I now have full HD in the bedroom the same as if the box was connected directly to the TV via HDMI cable.

I am restricted to the same channel on both tvs simultaneously but if I want to catch a tv show at night in the Bedroom I wont have to sacrifice on picture quality. CatX cables have a multitude of uses and it is very good practice now to run them to the hook up point.

Wifi is fine for surfing but once you go into large scale data transfer such as HD video or just plain data you can't beat having a wired connection, preferably gigabit ethernet. I know a guy with Eircoms 24 meg connection downloading flatout from the Heanet server he pulls about 12mb on wifi 3 metres from his router but on ethernet he has the full 24mb no bother. Wires still win in the data world.

Thanks Stinicker kinda makes things clearer,but why is it two cables,and does cat5 or cat6 or cat7 make a big difference.What i mean is which is better?.I was given a roll of cat? (not sure which) last Friday and advised to run it around the house before replastering starts this week.All i was told was i will be glad of it some day but iam still not sure why i installed it.As i was given it free i have run the cat cable from the tv point in living and from the three bedroom windows plus the hall to a central point in the attic.Dont know what iam going to do next with it,but as i have a lot of cable left should i run second lengths from the mentioned points to the attic?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Thanks Stinicker kinda makes things clearer,but why is it two cables,and does cat5 or cat6 or cat7 make a big difference.What i mean is which is better?.I was given a roll of cat? (not sure which) last Friday and advised to run it around the house before replastering starts this week.All i was told was i will be glad of it some day but iam still not sure why i installed it.As i was given it free i have run the cat cable from the tv point in living and from the three bedroom windows plus the hall to a central point in the attic.Dont know what iam going to do next with it,but as i have a lot of cable left should i run second lengths from the mentioned points to the attic?

Well cat 5/6/7 is extremely versatile, it has a multitude of use's not just for broadband.

Video/Audio/Room Control/smart home systems/ broadband/security cameras/Internal house network/ alarms/ phone lines

The bathroom was over kill but I just said i would put in there seems that I was doing every other room.

Id love to set the house up as a smart home in the future , knowing that the wiring is already there will make that a lot easier.

The sat/cable wiring for the TVs is nearly a must , plus remember if going with Sky multiroom they will require a phone point beside where the box is going in.

Thanks pistolpetes11,I have wired every room for satellite with twin sat cables for living room,also put an extra cable in each room to attic where i will put an aerial for DTT.Can you post a link please for what you have put at the end of your cat cable in each room?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes cat 5/6 is your best friend. Endless possibility's in regards to connections. I had the same problem trying to stream HD movies from my home server to a media pc in the living room where on wifi the picture would really struggle to buffer etc. Since using an ethernet connection those days are long gone. Also cat5/6 can be great for surround systems as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 paulyt33

One query re: your cat5/6 usage , what connector type are you using to stream your HD , or your standard video ....

Thanks pistolpetes11,I have wired every room for satellite with twin sat cables for living room,also put an extra cable in each room to attic where i will put an aerial for DTT.Can you post a link please for what you have put at the end of your cat cable in each room?

In some rooms they are just behind blank plates ,

In others there connected to a brushed steel MK modular wall plates I ordered from the electrical wholesalers

http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/Europlate-modular-audio-video-wall_plates.html

^^^ not the exact plates but something similar ^^^

Thanks pistolpetes11,now i know exactly what iam going to do.Jasus they are expensive,i have the feeling i will be using some blank plates also,but they are great to help figure out what iam doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dream of a better life

Hi there just reading you posts there. I built a house last year I got a company to do the smart wiring for me they where very good they dine things I was sure was not possible. They where very neat and tidy with there work. I have a great system in my house I got the cable and all the connector and a hub that all the cable went into. They installed a tv aerial and sky tv for me I also install a multi room audio sparker system. In 6 rooms I have radio stations and iPod dock connect that I can see the list of iPod on a remote I can carry in my hand and control everything. I have a media player. That has thousands of songs and movies I cam control with my remote. They told me the nuvo system was top of the range. I got all this work done for a very good price of 6000 euro they wired my house with my electrician they came again after plaster was dry and put on my network and tv sockets and put speaker in the ceiling. Then a week before I moves in they hung my tvs set up my surround sound and installed the music system. I have a great entertainment system I family and friends love it.
    I think it made my home much better my wife loves it she listens to the radio every morning in the kitchen the sound is so clear.
    So I just want to let you know if you have any tv question I'd ask you to give them a call. Sentron communications they cover all Ireland. 0866015411

Thanks new member with only this post but they are a bit to expensive for me.Do they have a web site ? all i can find is this http://www.sentron.ie/

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Thanks new member with only this post but they are a bit to expensive for me.Do they have a web site ? all i can find is this http://www.sentron.ie/

The only registered company that is Sentron communications is a Security company in Galway. http://www.solocheck.ie/FreeIrishCompanyReport?companyNumber=426024&companyName=SENTRON+COMMUNICATIONS+LIMITED

Thanks scaller i did notice solo-check,but i would expect any company doing that type of work all over Ireland and considering they are communications based would have some sort of web site.

Advertisement