Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaking roof.

Options
  • 23-08-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

I got a cladding roof put on the back of my house nearly 2 yrs ago, its nearly a flat roof but its now leaking, i was talking to a builder and he thinks i would be better off to just pull the hole thing off and get a new one on it,
    i dunno if he was trying to get a bit of money or not but i dont think i can afford a new roof after paying so much for it,
    Is there any other possible solution to this or just put a new one on it,
    Any ideas would be welcomed,

just another thought would i be able to claim it on my house insurance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

it should last longer than 2 years. i am sure if its the same builder i would be asking him to fix it.

failing that what exactly do you mena cladding roof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

also wanting to hear what a clad roof on a house looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭miccy203

No the builder i got it done wit is after going to Australia (typical)

Its like galvanise cladding at the time the builder said it was better for flat roofs that it would NOT leak, but sure here i am with a leak.. lol

here is a pic of it at the time of building:

ah i see.

is it a big leak. because it could be as simple as the screw that hold it down have a rubber seal on them . and it could be one that needs tightening. it will be hard to identify where the leak is. as for replacing it. everything can be fixed.

you will need to identify where the leak is .( which will be hard as i imagine the joints are quite long. )

you might be able to reuse the sheets if you were redoing the roof. but i think it can befixed

where about on the roof do you think the leak originates? the tie in to the old existing roof?

can you get a pic of the underside of it?

• Advertisement

ya its just at the corner were it meets the old roof!! ill can take a pic tomoro and put it up,

dats good to hear i was goin to get a tube of lead sealent and just pipe every were around the joint again and see if that wud help but the builder said no that it wud be a waste of time,there is lead already on it alrit

look. at the minute dont mind the builder. if you can fix it with a tube of cheap sealant vs a roof replacement happy days.

just check the flashing is overlapping and there is no back fall in it. the lead may have moved creating a back fall on it and producing a leak.

have a look. get a bucket of water and try and find the leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

From the photo it looks like that sheeting is the tiled effect. That type of sheeting was designed for roofs in or around 12 degrees. I wouldnt use cheap sealent as it wont stick good. Try get FC40 it is used by sheeting companies for sealing sheets and gutters and should do the job

homerhop wrote: »
    From the photo it looks like that sheeting is the tiled effect. That type of sheeting was designed for roofs in or around 12 degrees. I wouldnt use cheap sealent as it wont stick good. Try get FC40 it is used by sheeting companies for sealing sheets and gutters and should do the job

i meant cheap in comparison to the roof replacement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Your right, there should be no need to remove the roof but it may be worth his while getting a couple of tubes and go back over anywhere he tied into the existing roof, just don’t use a cheap sealant
    I got a tube of sealant in one of the diy places a few weeks back had nothing else to hand, cleaned the surface and dried it off, applied the gunk and a week later it peeled off like a bad dose of sunburn. Tube said can be applied to any surface wet or dry. That won’t happen if you use a product like FC40. IF he contacts some of the sheeting companies they may be able to provide him with some of the products that they use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Can u get a foto or 2 of the detailing/flashing between the flat roof and the valley, particularly the corner.

The sealant may do the job longitudinally along the sheets where they overlap but not in valley.

There is a tape I use.... put up the foto and I will PM you

Advertisement