Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translate Latin to English

Options
  • 23-08-2010 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi could someone please translate the following to English:

Testantur hae literae gradum baccalaureatus mercaturae honoro cursu confecto in universitate hiberniae nationali apud corcagium quae universitas particeps universitatis hiberniae nationalis rite constituta est ad NAME delatum esse diex mensis septembris mmix
    Praeses et vice cancellarius

It would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Have to get this done by the end of the week so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

I'm no expert in Latin, but I get the rough idea, it appears to be text from an NUI degree parchment.

They/We give as evidence these letters for completing the final exam which confers (confering) an honours degree at the National University of Ireland of Cork, which the university, as a member of the National University is duly allowed to (given permission to), given/offered on the month of September.
    The Praeses and the office of the chancellor.

The only word I'm quite unsure of is diex.

I originally forgot to put in Corcagium as Cork, fixed in the original post.
    I am interested in diex though, I can't translate it so I left the sentence as given/offered on the month of September, but it could be dated on the month of September. I think diex is a noun.

However I don't think it effects the English translation much.

Cheers, really appreciate it.

Enkidu wrote: »
    I originally forgot to put in Corcagium as Cork, fixed in the original post.
    I am interested in diex though, I can't translate it so I left the sentence as given/offered on the month of September, but it could be dated on the month of September. I think diex is a noun.

However I don't think it effects the English translation much.
    I though diex was translated to mean the tenth but a quick google search suggests it means God, not really so sure how that ties in with the rest of the sentence.

• Advertisement

I though diex was translated to mean the tenth but a quick google search suggests it means God, not really so sure how that ties in with the rest of the sentence.
    Ah!, of course. Sorry it is the tenth, which is usually decimus, but inflection rules have changed it to diex. Then the last line would be:
    given/offered on the tenth of the month of September

or the whole thing:

They/We give as evidence these letters for completing the final exam which confers (confering) an honours degree at the National University of Ireland of Cork, which the university, as a member of the National University is duly allowed to (given permission to), given/offered on the tenth of the month of September.
    The Praeses and the office of the chancellor.

Silly of me, it was obvious in retrospect.

Advertisement