Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow fermentation?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

I started my first brew 11 days ago, Coopers European Lager using a brew enhancer, I know Lagers aint the best option for home brew but I wanted to start with something I can share with my mates (they drink crap). Anyway my OG reading was 1.040, today I got a reading of 1.016, does this seem a bit high after 11 days. Should I just leave it another few days and see how it goes? The kit instructions say to leave it bottled for 12 week so I want to get it out of the way asap so I can start quicker kit, maybe a wheat beer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dylbert wrote: »
    I started my first brew 11 days ago, Coopers European Lager using a brew enhancer, I know Lagers aint the best option for home brew but I wanted to start with something I can share with my mates (they drink crap). Anyway my OG reading was 1.040, today I got a reading of 1.016, does this seem a bit high after 11 days. Should I just leave it another few days and see how it goes? The kit instructions say to leave it bottled for 12 week so I want to get it out of the way asap so I can start quicker kit, maybe a wheat beer.

12 weeks sounds excessive, but you could very gently rouse the yeast with a long sanitised spoon this may give the a kick to brig down the gravity down a few more points

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If you have a bubbler, is it bubbling? If not, if you open the bucket and let the CO2 out, does the lid buckle upwards a while after you re-attach it?

If so, then the yeast is still working (yeast + sugar = ethanol + CO2), if not, try gently stirring it as oblivious said. 1016 does seem high (as does 12 weeks!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

I gave the brew a bit of a stir on Monday and on Thursday it was at 1.012, gonna check it again today and bottle if the reading is the same. Just a few questions about batch priming, I'm using brewing sugar, does 130g sound about right and is racking to a second bucket enough to mix in the sugar or will it need a stir too?

dylbert wrote: »
    I gave the brew a bit of a stir on Monday and on Thursday it was at 1.012, gonna check it again today and bottle if the reading is the same. Just a few questions about batch priming, I'm using brewing sugar, does 130g sound about right and is racking to a second bucket enough to mix in the sugar or will it need a stir too?

Looks like its ready to good, 130g might be a bit on the high side I generally go for around 100g

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Is brewing sugar ok to use in the bottling stage? If I go by 100g for every 20 litres is that enough or too much for a pale ale.

I've learned a shed load on home brewing on this forum. thanks for all the help with it. Looking forward to giving a wheat beer and lager a bash!

There should be a 'beer glass' smiley.

• Advertisement

Chunks wrote: »
    Is brewing sugar ok to use in the bottling stage? If I go by 100g for every 20 litres is that enough or too much for a pale ale..

Yea its supposed to be a tad more fermentable, but that looks ok. Table sugar works just as well and cheaper;)

Advertisement