Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees paid if get on BTEA?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

HI

I was wondering if anybody on here could help me out, Ive found out from the welfare office that I will qualify for BTEA which I am thrilled about. I am a 27 year old mature student going into 3rd level education for the first time.

I have been living out of home for years but unfortunately dont have a utility bill with my name on it from october 2009 which is required by the county council as proof of living independently from parents.
    I have oodles of other documentation to show I have been living out of home but county council will not accept it. To be honest any time Ive phoned or gone down in person Ive found them purposefully unhelpful.

My dilemma is this, that if I am liable for the 1,500 registration fee I will in no way be able to return to college. The 196 a week I would be getting on BTEA would cover living costs only. My father is in no position financially to assist me.

I have heard rumours before that if you get on BTEA then you automatically qualify for your fees to be paid. IS this true?

I went down to the social welfare BTEA offices to enquire about this and the lady I dealt with on that particular day was very rude and unhelpful too, and stated that all BTEA provides you with is 196 a week and she basicallly shooed me out the door.

I find it very ironic that if I dont recieve assistance to pay this 1,500 euro registration fee that I will be forced back onto the dole, thereby costing the state even more money in the long run.

I really really want to go to college, but Im so worried what is going to happen in regards to this fee. I have not heard anything concrete from the county council about my application yet as its still being processed but a member of staff there basically told me if I didnt have a utility bill or letter from PRTB that I would be liable to pay for it.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter for me? THanks! :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

HI

I was wondering if anybody on here could help me out, Ive found out from the welfare office that I will qualify for BTEA which I am thrilled about. I am a 27 year old mature student going into 3rd level education for the first time.

I have been living out of home for years but unfortunately dont have a utility bill with my name on it from october 2009 which is required by the county council as proof of living independently from parents.
    I have oodles of other documentation to show I have been living out of home but county council will not accept it. To be honest any time Ive phoned or gone down in person Ive found them purposefully unhelpful.

My dilemma is this, that if I am liable for the 1,500 registration fee I will in no way be able to return to college. The 196 a week I would be getting on BTEA would cover living costs only. My father is in no position financially to assist me.

I have heard rumours before that if you get on BTEA then you automatically qualify for your fees to be paid. IS this true?

I went down to the social welfare BTEA offices to enquire about this and the lady I dealt with on that particular day was very rude and unhelpful too, and stated that all BTEA provides you with is 196 a week and she basicallly shooed me out the door.

I find it very ironic that if I dont recieve assistance to pay this 1,500 euro registration fee that I will be forced back onto the dole, thereby costing the state even more money in the long run.

I really really want to go to college, but Im so worried what is going to happen in regards to this fee. I have not heard anything concrete from the county council about my application yet as its still being processed but a member of staff there basically told me if I didnt have a utility bill or letter from PRTB that I would be liable to pay for it.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter for me? THanks! :):):)

You need to also complete the Grant application in order to receive registration fees. BTEA does not pay Registration fees. Phone the VEC to find out what they will accept in relation to utilities bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Thanks man, Ive already sent in my grant application.

They already said they would be in touch in due course and when I asked them what else they would accept instead of a utility bill they wouldnt give me a straight answer.

I dont know how they expect someone living on 196 euros a wk to pay a 1,500 euro registration fee. If I am liable to pay it I will be forced back onto the dole. Its such a catch 22 situation

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks man, Ive already sent in my grant application.

They already said they would be in touch in due course and when I asked them what else they would accept instead of a utility bill they wouldnt give me a straight answer.

I dont know how they expect someone living on 196 euros a wk to pay a 1,500 euro registration fee. If I am liable to pay it I will be forced back onto the dole. Its such a catch 22 situation

The guidance notes say
    Documentary evidence will be required as proof of your home/ordinary address from the 1st October of the year preceding your entry or re-entry to an approved course. For example, if you are entering an approved course for the first time or re-entering in the academic year 2010/11, you will need to
    provide evidence of where you were living from 1 October 2009.

Generally this would include:
    * utility bills, such as telephone, gas or electricity;
    * registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Board;
    * documentation received, for example, bank statement, correspondence from a government department.

Tell the county council that they have to accept one of the above

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

thanks man.

I have sent in all the docs I have, P45 with address, P60, bank statements, broadband bill (which they said they wouldnt accept) etc.

I dont have PRTB letter because landlord didnt bother his hole registering us.
    All utility bills in landlords name.

Time will tell how it all goes down anyways. I wonder why they offer the grant at all when they make it so hard for people on the lowest of incomes to obtain it.

Like, 1,500.00 euro is peanuts compared to the billions the State has pumped into Anglo! But anyways thanks for the help! much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

thanks man.

I have sent in all the docs I have, P45 with address, P60, bank statements, broadband bill (which they said they wouldnt accept) etc.

I dont have PRTB letter because landlord didnt bother his hole registering us.
    All utility bills in landlords name.

Time will tell how it all goes down anyways. I wonder why they offer the grant at all when they make it so hard for people on the lowest of incomes to obtain it.

Like, 1,500.00 euro is peanuts compared to the billions the State has pumped into Anglo! But anyways thanks for the help! much appreciated
    if they are still acting thick and stupid go to your local TDs clinic and ask them for help

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement