Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifles

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I'm looking to get an air rifle.

And i dont mean an Airsoft rifle. I have two of them, I'm looking fo a high powered rifle that wont kill a human. This is for vermin somethin like a Gamo Viper.

Now my question is is there a proper place to buy them in this country rather than buying them offline as i ondt exacly trust something like that being sent over with all these laws that i dont know anything about.

Now in order to get an Air Rifle i know i need a shooting license. What else do i need to do to go from having nothin to having my Air Rifle legally and stocked and supplied. Also where i can buy ammo and equipment for it.

This is the kind of rifle that i would like.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0039861228163a.shtml

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm looking to get an air rifle.

And i dont mean an Airsoft rifle. I have two of them, I'm looking fo a high powered rifle that wont kill a human. This is for vermin somethin like a Gamo Viper.

Now my question is is there a proper place to buy them in this country rather than buying them offline as i ondt exacly trust something like that being sent over with all these laws that i dont know anything about.

Now in order to get an Air Rifle i know i need a shooting license. What else do i need to do to go from having nothin to having my Air Rifle legally and stocked and supplied. Also where i can buy ammo and equipment for it.

This is the kind of rifle that i would like.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0039861228163a.shtml

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you read through the big red flashing announcement at the top of the forum?
    That lays out the security requirements and so forth and gives a link to a How Do I Get Started kind of document as well.

And I should probably point out that you're rather coming at this from the wrong angle completely, looking for the specific firearm as a first step, instead of having a particular application in mind and looking for the best tool for that job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

so how should i go about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

These high powered air-rifles are most certainly deadly to humans. At 1200fps a 0.177 pellet would be deadly. They should never be treated as less dangerous than a 22lr.

I would suggest a Diana RWS with the side cocking lever. I have put pellets though thins pieces of wood. Perfect for vermin, in the hands of a mindful shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

lads what kind of distance would these kill a crow rabbit etc

sounds like a great cheap way of keeping vermin under control

so how should i go about it?

Read this, then read this. If you have specific questions after that, post them and we'll do our best to answer them.

• Advertisement

Thanks. il give them a belt and i'l get bak to ya.

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

If youre thinking of hunting with it Dan, I'd defo go 22 rather than 17.

jap gt wrote: »
    lads what kind of distance would these kill a crow rabbit etc

sounds like a great cheap way of keeping vermin under control

I've a PCP in 22.....rabbits no prob to 50yds, head shots only though.
    I know a guy who takes them regularly out to 80.
    Cheap????. 500 trigger squeezes for 12-15€ cant be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Goosie wrote: »
    I've a PCP in 22.....rabbits no prob to 50yds, head shots only though.
    I know a guy who takes them regularly out to 80.
    Cheap????. 500 trigger squeezes for 12-15€ cant be bad.

i know absolutely nothing about air rifles, how are they charged etc, sound ideal for my area as the lack of noise would be a big plus

i know absolutely nothing about air rifles, how are they charged etc, sound ideal for my area as the lack of noise would be a big plus

Broadly speaking 2 power plants, springers and pcp.

Springers: Spring powered, break barrell action, cheaper to buy, generally single shot.

Pcp: Air resevoir on rifle filled from a divers bottle or hand pump, multishot bolt action, 20-30 shots from a fill. Very high inital outlay.

Both are pretty quiet but not a lot less than a well moderated rimfire with low powered ammo.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Just one question, in PCP air rifles is there a difference from say, the 1st shot after it being pumped and the 10th shot power wise, or is the air usually even in distribution?

If the rifle has a regulator, then no; otherwise yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

PCP air rifles are charged using either a stirrup pump or a dive bottle with a gauge and hose supplied seperate. If you buy a pcp you get a filling probe that fits your gun and will fit all pumps and hose's that are used to charge a air rifle.
    Some air rifles are supplied with a silencer and others are not, but in my view they all need them if you use the gun for hunting as they can be quite loud without one and can scare off what your hunting as you need to get in close too the target.
    When hunting with air rifles the rule is always a head shot so you get a clean kill. I cant understand why its illegal to shot birds with a air rifle in Ireland when you can easly kill a rabbit at 60yards.
    Here's a photo of my .22 with a guide to main parts of the gun.

Picture0100.jpg

skipz wrote: »
    PCP air rifles are charged using either a stirrup pump or a dive bottle with a gauge and hose supplied seperate. If you buy a pcp you get a filling probe that fits your gun and will fit all pumps and hose's that are used to charge a air rifle.
    Some air rifles are supplied with a silencer and others are not, but in my view they all need them if you use the gun for hunting as they can be quite loud without one and can scare off what your hunting as you need to get in close too the target.
    When hunting with air rifles the rule is always a head shot so you get a clean kill. I cant understand why its illegal to shot birds with a air rifle in Ireland when you can easly kill a rabbit at 60yards.
    Here's a photo of my .22 with a guide to main parts of the gun.

Picture0100.jpg
    Where did u get that gun? that looks perfect for wot i'm looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Got this gun from a dealers in louth, most gun shops will sell air rifles. This set up cost quite a bit of money as it is a pcp but springers are cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

That is one sweet looking air rifle, I'm tempted to get rid of the shotgun and get one

Advertisement