Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine Points On 2nd Round

Options
  • 23-08-2010 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I got an offer of Med in Galway with 721 points. seriously mixed emotions cause i really didn't want to leave home in dublin....am i being stupid in even hoping that rcsi will drop two points on second round?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

why not just accept the offer for now and if you get offered dublin in the second round you can always accept that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I think it would be silly to turn down a course just because you have to move out of home.

I know it seems like a major step but you'd be suprised how quick you'll adjust and you might even like it :D

Plus your only away for 5 days you can go home every friday everning if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Accept it, if you really want to do med then Galway isn't too far at all, consider yourself lucky compared to the people who have to move to the UK/even further on in Europe! (Such as myself who is now contemplating my offer for Pharmacy in nottingham)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Dont forget there is now a motoway from Galway to Dublin. I'd love to Medicine next year no matter where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

There are a lot of people dying to get Med wherever they can...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stevieg91

lik i will accept it nd take first yr but do you reckon the points will come down even 2? or if not then re-apply next year nd hopefully the points wil come down 2?! am i being too optimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

stevieg91 wrote: »
    lik i will accept it nd take first yr but do you reckon the points will come down even 2? or if not then re-apply next year nd hopefully the points wil come down 2?! am i being too optimistic

Wait for round 2 this year. Alot of people apply for medicine through UCAS so when they take their offers it creates a knock on effect for the colleges. You could be in RSCI by the 2nd of September!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

2nd round offers are out on the 2nd of september so you probably won't have started yet... If you get offered dublin on the 2nd you can accept that and your galway place will become available to someone else. As someone who didn't get the course they wanted and will have to repeat now :( I would reccommend you to take galway, even if you don't get dublin in the 2nd round, you will adjust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Take Galway.

It may drop, but it may not. There's no guarantee, but as you're quite close it's possible.

Medicine went to 4th round last year (In Trinity anyway...)
    (I accepted UCD on 1st round offers, and Trinity on 3rd. And I was 3 points off trinity to begin with...)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

you would reapply next year just to get dublin? that's a bit mad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CouldBe

People would be gagging for that place in Galway... including me! :rolleyes: Im hoping like mad RCSI and everywhere else drops just so I can get someones place in NUIG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

OP, take it and see what happens in Round Two. You can always tell NUI Galway that you don't want the place later on.

Also, I know the prospect of leaving home sounds very scary, but many of us are in the same boat and you gotta leave sometime! It'll be grand. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Galways is a fantastic city anyway :D.

My cousions in NUI and she loves it up there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Think about it logically, you got a place on a medical course!! It's such an achievement and a very difficult feat to attain. If i was you, i'd jump at the oppurtunity. You're gonna have to leave home some time in your life, why not now?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I can understand where you're coming from OP. It probably came as quite a shock having to move away within the next month when you saw yourself spending the next 6 years in Dublin...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you pass up this opportunity and don't get Dublin it will haunt you to your grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Dublin to galway took me 2 hours on the motorway, so you're not miles away, the craic would be unbelievable, and it's your first choice course... plus how often do you hear about people being f*cked out of the house at 18 and saying how good it was for them?

this could be the making of you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Take it anyway, its not gunna do any harm and the second round offers aren't out til the 2nd. Bear in mind that if you start in Galway with the full intention of leaving after 1 year and starting again in Dublin, you'll pay fees for first year in Dublin (~€9000).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 who.dunnit

Take it take it take it! Most people have to leave home for college anyway and it'll be good for you to experience a different city. You've got a place in a course that alot of people would give their right arm for it and if you'd prefer to stay at home than go and do it in a different city than maybe it's not the course for you! If it was what you always wanted you should be happy to do it whereever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 princess764

Take it take it take it! Starting medicine in galway myself - first choice, didn't see myself making it in dublin. Galway's one of the best colleges in the country, craic is amazing and if it's only two hours like the other's were saying then its totally worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Hey OP. RCSI came down to 721! Did you get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stevieg91

yes i did! i got it on second round! delighted, saved my parents a lot of money too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Congratulations! :)

Even if Galway > any Dublin college, any day! :pac:

Advertisement