Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A decent cheap Tring setup?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a decent satellite system capable of viewing the Tring card.

I have found the Tring card for 209 sterling from alsat, so I need a cheapish HD reciever that can take the card and a dish capable of picking up the signal.

If anyone could point me in the right direction with some info and their own thoughts that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭nordine

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Tring don't have a HD channel at the moment. I am sure you're purchasing it for future proofing but if you are looking for cheap then you don't need the HD part.

Where abouts are you, that matters for dish size.

azzeretti wrote: »
    Tring don't have a HD channel at the moment. I am sure you're purchasing it for future proofing but if you are looking for cheap then you don't need the HD part.

Where abouts are you, that matters for dish size.

Wexford. What size will I need for there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

nordine wrote: »

For 16e you would probably want either a 1.1 or 1.2m dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I'm in Wexford too and have a 1.1m picking it up reasonably. I wouldn't go any smaller though. To be honest you're probably best to motorise it, it'll serve you better in the long run

• Advertisement

azzeretti wrote: »
    I'm in Wexford too and have a 1.1m picking it up reasonably. I wouldn't go any smaller though. To be honest you're probably best to motorise it, it'll serve you better in the long run

What are the benefits of motorising? Im fairly new to this but Im going to start a set up fairly shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

What are the benefits of motorising? Im fairly new to this but Im going to start a set up fairly shortly.

If you motorise your dish (especially one of that size) you will be able to pick up pretty much every satellite that broadcasts around europe thus future proofing your setup. Motorising is usually only done by enthusiasts for the most part though with 16e I would recommend it as there aint much on that satellite.

Ill be honest with you, I dont watch TV that much. Im basically after the premier league football.

It seems Tring show all the matches and are pretty cheap (poor PQ a downside).

Once I get set up for the football Im pretty much happy.

Are there any other stations on other satellites that show the games.

Ive been reading through the forums trying to suss it out and it seems that there are a few other options. Cyfra+ and Digiturk seem to have the football as well. Are there any comprehnsive lists of what stations show the matches, and how one would obtain the card?

Any other forums or websites where info is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 damob2000

As the others were saying you are better of gettin a motorised dish. It took me 2 days to get the signal for Tring with out motor, could get signal for all the 16 degrees channel bar Tring for ages. drove me mad. Worth it as have choice of what matches to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Tring has an awful PQ like has been said, but if your watching it on a TFT screen its not too bad! Large LCD screens seem to exagerate the bad PQ of SD channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

snaps wrote: »
    Tring has an awful PQ like has been said, but if your watching it on a TFT screen its not too bad! Large LCD screens seem to exagerate the bad PQ of SD channels.

Surely you mean CRT and not TFT? ;)

carbsy wrote: »
    Surely you mean CRT and not TFT? ;)

Sorry yes a CRT!!!!!

Whats size dish did you have trouble with tring?
    damob2000 wrote: »
    As the others were saying you are better of gettin a motorised dish. It took me 2 days to get the signal for Tring with out motor, could get signal for all the 16 degrees channel bar Tring for ages. drove me mad. Worth it as have choice of what matches to watch.

If I was to pick one satellite to point at, which one would offer the best choice of premier league soccer?

If I was to pick one satellite to point at, which one would offer the best choice of premier league soccer?

Well it all depends, the best value is 16 east for tring (240€ at the moment for a sub)

But then Cyfra+(160€) comes a very close 2nd, No English commentry but HD and a strong signal on a 60cm from 13 east hotbird.

Well it all depends, the best value is 16 east for tring (240€ at the moment for a sub)

But then Cyfra+(160€) comes a very close 2nd, No English commentry but HD and a strong signal on a 60cm from 13 east hotbird.

Does Cyfra show 3pm games?

Does Cyfra show 3pm games?

Last season yes, but im not 100% sure about this season. Tring is a gamble, because either they will get better quality picture channels come October (When new satellite is in position) or they may loose the 3pm games like digitalb did last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 damob2000

I am using a 90cm dish in Offaly, once i found Tring i am getting signal at 74%. So far Tring has shown all epl matches but on Sunday 2 of matches were not in English.

Well... if money is not an object the best imho would be Sky Italia on 13e but you'd be paying upwards of 1k+ for an annual sub. :eek:

carbsy wrote: »
    Well... if money is not an object the best imho would be Sky Italia on 13e but you'd be paying upwards of 1k+ for an annual sub. :eek:

you can get it cheaper, ive seen places doing it for 700€ish

Would I need a large dish for 13e? That sat seems to have a good choice of channels showing premier league so im inclined to go for that. I have a 60cm dish and dont want to fork out any more if i dont have to.

not interested in motorised dish or muli lnb, wouldnt have the patience to set that up at the moment, maybe in the future though.

• Advertisement

60cm should be ok. possibly not in the far west/north though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, Sky Italia really does seem to be the best, across all the Calcio/Sport channels.

Actually, if you only want football, then maybe you don't need to subscribe to the Sky Sport, just Sky Calcio (and obligatory basic channels)?

That's actually a very good price considering what you're getting.

Where can I find listings for Sky Italia and what matches they are showing?

I checked here: http://liveonsat.com/LJsport_foot_epl_only.php
    and it does not mention sky italia once for any matches.

Cyfra+ just seem to be showing the same as sky sports uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Sky Italia will be showing most of those games. More broadcasters will be added to the list as we get closer to match day.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Sky Italia will be showing most of those games. More broadcasters will be added to the list as we get closer to match day.

Cool thanks. Is there any english comentary on Sky Italia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Cool thanks. Is there any english comentary on Sky Italia?

Yes, full English audio in alternate audio stream

slegs wrote: »
    Yes, full English audio in alternate audio stream
    Excelent. Ill have to look more into getting this so.

Advertisement