Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a spot for a Bee Hive

Options
  • 23-08-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

hi everyone, im looking to start my own beehive and im in need of a bit of land to put them on. if any one knows of some one or you have some your self, i would appreciate any info. i live in Youghal, Co. Cork so anywhere near by ( killeagh, dungarvan ) or in between would be perfect.

i only need about half an acre in the corner of a field :)

i wont be starting just yet though, ill be doing a course in january so it will be sometime around then

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Dublin County North.

HB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

You actually only need about 2 meters one for the beehive & one to work around it. Easy access for a vehicle ( you will need to bring boxes & equipment to the location regularly during the summer) . Those things get heavy horsing them over ditches.
    More importantly there should be a water source, nearby stream or feeding trough for animals is fine. Plenty of forage ( stay away from the grain crops the wind pollinates those) . Sycamore, horsechestnut, gorse , in spring , clover blackberry etc in the summer months ,ivy in autumn.
    Oil seed rape is a great crop for early development of a hive but for a beginner ( it will drive you mad) it will cause the bees to swarm early & the honey from the oil seed needs to be taken off straight away.
    Ideally there should be trees nearby for a lot of those. a sheltered spot south facing where the winter sun will catch the hive . Not at the bottom of a hill of valley as they tend to be frost pockets in wintertime.
    When you do the course you will be advised to get Ted Hoopers Guide to bees & honey ( read the section on ideal location for hives) .

If I were you I would look for spots & then in the month of December see if the sun is shining on them.

Do the course , read the book you will most likely be looking at May or June before you get a nuc hive unless you have contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

bertie1 wrote: »
    You actually only need about 2 meters one for the beehive & one to work around it. Easy access for a vehicle ( you will need to bring boxes & equipment to the location regularly during the summer) . Those things get heavy horsing them over ditches.
    More importantly there should be a water source, nearby stream or feeding trough for animals is fine. Plenty of forage ( stay away from the grain crops the wind pollinates those) . Sycamore, horsechestnut, gorse , in spring , clover blackberry etc in the summer months ,ivy in autumn.
    Oil seed rape is a great crop for early development of a hive but for a beginner ( it will drive you mad) it will cause the bees to swarm early & the honey from the oil seed needs to be taken off straight away.
    Ideally there should be trees nearby for a lot of those. a sheltered spot south facing where the winter sun will catch the hive . Not at the bottom of a hill of valley as they tend to be frost pockets in wintertime.
    When you do the course you will be advised to get Ted Hoopers Guide to bees & honey ( read the section on ideal location for hives) .

If I were you I would look for spots & then in the month of December see if the sun is shining on them.

Do the course , read the book you will most likely be looking at May or June before you get a nuc hive unless you have contacts.

thanks for the info bertie1, i appreciate it! :) ive been reading up as much as i can but there's always something new to learn as im finding out lol. should be staring a course soon aswell so happy days! :)

Just to add - ill be fully insured when i join my local association so please if anyone can help, id really appreciate it, ill even give you some honey! :)

You might be better off posting this in the farming thread, there could be somebody in your area with a crop of oil seed or beans that would be delighted to get a hive on site. A neighbour of mine has just sown oil seed rape & has told me to I can put my bees there when ever it suits if I want . I'll move a hive over to it in early spring & hopefully get some early splits & make up stock.

• Advertisement

thanks, ill give it ago and hope it works out...i think ive sorted a site ( or 2 ) was on to coillte and they said i can have a site in there forrest ( about 10-15 mins drive from me ) so ill be checking that out asap :)

You will need it close to you . You will have to check them every 7 days from April - August

oh i know ya bertie1, like i said, its about 10-15 mins drive from my house with easy access which is great, the only thing i need to do now is run it by the forest manager to see if he is ok with, hopefully he will be, but i was up in my cousins today and they have loads of land and said that i can use as much as i like and i think there is a farmer after sowing some rapeseed close by so things are starting to look up the only problem is that its about half an hour drive from me but since my parents live close by, i wouldnt mind at all :)

Advertisement