Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemen i require help

Options
  • 23-08-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Since the start of 5th year in school i have been expieriencing body odour. i dont know why it just happens. i am sitting in the middle of the class and bang. it causes a lot of embarassment and confidence issues. i will start college soon so please offer advice.

i use lynx almost 3 times a day shower daily and use driclor aswell. what deodorant should i use and how much. what clothes make the effect less. thanks in advance to all those who respond as i will check replies by mobile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

cotton tshirts tend to breathe a bit better, do you sit with your arms clenched into your body? i work in an office so get that occasionally , lynx only masks the smell, and tbh the smell of bo and lynx is rotten. try an anti perspirant instead

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Lynx is rubbish. It's just covering one smell with another. Get some proper anti-perspirant like nivea or i like the gilette stuff. +1 on wearing cotton

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Lynx is useless, anti perspirant is far better, i use sure for men, seems to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Use perspirex. It could work quite well for you if you use it properly.

Ideally we shouldnt use anti perspirants at all, they're really bad for the pores under your arms as you're just clogging them up with chemicals instead of leaving them open naturally, but since its either that or stink up the place, spray away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

you should not really smell of BO if you sweat, BO comes from the smell of dry sweat mostly.. if you wash every day this should not be a problem, however in your case it seems to be..i agree with trying an antiperspirant but it could be worth visiting your doctor too..
    a mate of mine had the same problem for years and then one day it all stopped for good..i dont know what he did but what ever it was it worked...there is a solution and a trip to your doctor might help you find it..
    i'd also keep googeling for info on this issue...
    good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Do you drink a lot of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks to all opp here . i tend to drink a lot of fluids but do eating habbits dictate b.o aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Buy anti-persp instead of Lynx and lash it on in the morning. Bring it in your schoolbag too and head to the toilets if you feel the effect is wearing off. Splash a bit of soapy water under your arms, dry with toilet roll and re-apply. That's what I'd do if I was in your position because I'm sure it probably weighs a lot on your mind all day currently

Buy anti-persp instead of Lynx and lash it on in the morning. Bring it in your schoolbag too and head to the toilets if you feel the effect is wearing off. Splash a bit of soapy water under your arms, dry with toilet roll and re-apply. That's what I'd do if I was in your position because I'm sure it probably weighs a lot on your mind all day currently

use wet wipes instead of soapy water, gona look like a sap cleaning his pits at the sink every day, small pack of wet wipes in your bag and use them in the cubicle...jaysus at this stage he'll have the female teachers crackin onto him:D

go for the new Dove men care antiperspirant it smells lovely and lasts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Shower in the morning before you go out is an absolute must; don't shower at night before you go to bed, as you can sweat a lot when asleep.

Use a very good antiperspirant/deodorant (see: Mitchum, l'Oreal, Dove, Nivea, et al) and also splash on a little bit (not too much) of a nice cologne or aftershave (on your pulse points in your neck and wrists only; nothing worse than a bloke wearing enough aftershave to drown a small animal).

Cotton shirts breathe better than anything else.

Change your undershirt/t-shirt at least once a day (ie. put a fresh one on after your shower in the morning).

It's also alleged that shaving your underarm hair can help (gives the bacteria that cause B.O. less space to multiply).

DazMarz wrote: »
    Shower in the morning before you go out is an absolute must; don't shower at night before you go to bed, as you can sweat a lot when asleep.

Use a very good antiperspirant/deodorant (see: Mitchum, l'Oreal, Dove, Nivea, et al) and also splash on a little bit (not too much) of a nice cologne or aftershave (on your pulse points in your neck and wrists only; nothing worse than a bloke wearing enough aftershave to drown a small animal).

Cotton shirts breathe better than anything else.

Change your undershirt/t-shirt at least once a day (ie. put a fresh one on after your shower in the morning).

It's also alleged that shaving your underarm hair can help (gives the bacteria that cause B.O. less space to multiply).

don't think this is true:
    From Wiki armpit hair naturally wicks moisture away from the skin, which aids in keeping the skin dry enough to prevent colonization by odor-producing bacteria.
    OP explore this more but if you shave your underarm hair you could exacerbate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I've just commented on the fav deodorant thread, just making the point you probably want to get to the point of not smelling bad rather than reeking of deodorant spray.

Have you a good mate you can ask "am I smelling bad?" is it just yourself that notices? you might be getting the scent far more than anyone around you and getting overly worried.

Keep yourself clean and your clothes clean and you're heading in the right direction. If it is something more serious, as suggested, have a chat with a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here. Thanks gentlemen for all the replies. As for asking friends i cant. I have another friend with similar problem and my friends slag him behind his back. My friends mentioned once at the start of 5th year but haven't since. I am also paranoid and it anoys me when some one in public transport stares at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Piriz wrote: »

go for the new Dove men care antiperspirant it smells lovely and lasts!

+1, anytime i use this i never smell. i work in an office and it happens sometimes.

Mackman wrote: »
    +1, anytime i use this i never smell. i work in an office and it happens sometimes.

+1,you'd imagine sitting down all day would make you not sweat since you're not really doing anything physical, but its worse, especially if you type all day and your arms are pressed into your sides, factor in the fact any time i ask to turn on the aircon I'm met with shrieks of "but its freezing!" even though its about 25 degrees outside, the joys of working in a near all female environment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Op how often do you shower?
    you start of warm right so your skin pores open and finish of cold so they close agin also helps stoping spots....

get the can of linx put it in the bin and get something like Nivea cool kick it will work better tho if you sweat a lot maybe youle have to wear a different brand like shure one of the many others.

Where a freash shirt every day, Itle make a difference to. If your mum gives you a look to ask why you want to wear a freash shirt every day tell her...

last but not least if you wanna smell all nice and attractive tot he womens get your self a spray from chanel, givenchy, hugo boss....

what ever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

+1 shower every day and a clean shirt. I use the nivea one, my BO is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. School was crap cause I only had 2 school shirts, so that didnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Since the start of 5th year in school i have been expieriencing body odour. i dont know why it just happens. i am sitting in the middle of the class and bang. it causes a lot of embarassment and confidence issues. i will start college soon so please offer advice.

i use lynx almost 3 times a day shower daily and use driclor aswell. what deodorant should i use and how much. what clothes make the effect less. thanks in advance to all those who respond as i will check replies by mobile.
    I've highlighted your main problem :) It is the worst, totally ineffective at keeping you dry and smells horrible.

Adolescents like yourself sweat more than people in other age categories mainly because your bodies are still undergoing physical change (puberty). All the hormones release chemicals which exit your body in the form of perspiration. Use a good quality anti-perspirant like Sure For Men and you'll be fine. Buy some good cologne too - i'd recommend Paco Rabanne or Joop. The wimmins love them :pac:

Advertisement