Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbour waxed jacket

Options
  • 23-08-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi does anybody know where i can get a Barbour jacket at a good price for fishing i know they are expensive but they are good quality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

all wax jackets are a waste of money.... too heavy and basically useless for fishing, go for a breathable light weight one....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Agree with IBD. The waxed jacket has been surpassed by later developments in microfibres.

Waxed cotton always was freezing to wear in cold weather. The new goretex, and similar fibres are windproof as well as waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

You can buy one of cabelas own goretex jackets at the end of the season for less than a 100e in the sales. I bought two last year and they are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

did you buy these jackeys on a website if so could you post a link please?
    stylie wrote: »
    You can buy one of cabelas own goretex jackets at the end of the season for less than a 100e in the sales. I bought two last year and they are fantastic.

• Advertisement

i thought you had to pay tax on stuff sent in from America???

i thought you had to pay tax on stuff sent in from America???

They get stopped by customs pretty much all the time now.
    Can you guess where the government is still increasing staff numbers? :rolleyes:

pity because Cabelas used to have a good service there was no messing with them but this tax duty would put me off ordering anything. is there a price/cost limit to the implementation of the tax by the paddy customs?? :(:(

Sometimes you pay tax and sometimes you dont. Depends on who is working that day or how much stuff is coming in. I have paid tax once from Cabelas, over maybe 10 orders.
    Its easiest to keep the price down if u send it to someone u know in the states, cheap postages and they can rewrap it as a gift or bring it back in their luggage

Items labelled "gift" are being stopped.
    I know someone who was asked to bring in the invoice for his "gift" before they would calculate how much VAT was due.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

As said above, wax jackets are well out of date. They have to be rewaxed every few years. They're only good if you want to look like prince charles at Balmoral Castle, but a proper gortex jacket is is ten times better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Google john norris penrith. They stock barbour.

As the lads say don't bother with the wax jacket. They're heavy, smelly and you sweat like a pig in them.

Go to TK Maxx and have a rummage through their outdoor jackets section.
    I picked a waterproof, breathable regatta jacket for about €40/€50 I also picked up a foldaway one for about €30. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

Waxed jackets still have their uses, and Barbours are still very well made. Yes you have to look after them, but they will still keep the water out after you've fallen into brambles / snagged them on barbed wire. My last goretex jacket sprung multiple leaks in the arm after I caught it on thorns.

I have more jackets than I really need but my favorite at the moment for winter fishing / shooting is a breathable Barbour (can't remember the name but it's not waxed cotton). Same great build quality but none of the smell / sweat you get with a waxed jacket.

Go into Clerys in Dublin (Barbour shop in basement) to get an idea of the size / style you want then hit google. Some good prices to be found on some of the UK retailer sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

jag con wrote: »
    Hi does anybody know where i can get a Barbour jacket at a good price for fishing i know they are expensive but they are good quality

I got a wax jacket as a gift once and I wouldn't recommend one for fishing or any outdoor activity.They take an age to dry,get very heavy when wet and really can't compete with the lighter wet gear that's on the market.Having said that,if you have 30'000 acres of land in middle England and a few range rovers,well thats a different story....

Advertisement