Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought new house , now alarm system

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:42am

So i have just bought a new house and i am looking to alarm it. The house has been vacant for the past year and it is wired for eircom phone watch.

First of all , i am buying this one my own so money is a factor, so somthing to tie me over would do .

Should i stick with Eircom phone watch ? Or should i just go with a normal house alarm ?

Anybody got any advice on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

So i have just bought a new house and i am looking to alarm it. The house has been vacant for the past year and it is wired for eircom phone watch.

First of all , i am buying this one my own so money is a factor, so somthing to tie me over would do .

Should i stick with Eircom phone watch ? Or should i just go with a normal house alarm ?

Anybody got any advice on this ?

Is there a eircom system installed in the house ?

You dont have to just get a system monitored by eircom. All alarm companys can install and provide a monitored system be that self monitoring or through a monitoring station.

The Eircom system is still there but is disconnected.

The Eircom system is still there but is disconnected.

You could get the panel going again or if it is an old system that is not working you could upgrade with the fitting of a new control box plus keypad. Much cheaper than getting a whole new alarm.

Do you know what the reason for the disconnection was ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What type of Eircom system is it?
    If its wired it gives you much more options.

altor wrote: »
    You could get the panel going again or if it is an old system that is not working you could upgrade with the fitting of a new control box plus keypad. Much cheaper than getting a whole new alarm.

Do you know what the reason for the disconnection was ?

I am pretty sure its unpaid bills , but i will be able to get more info soon. Make and so on .

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure its unpaid bills , but i will be able to get more info soon. Make and so on .

:D If you want to get it going we will give you all the advise you will need but do come back with the type of alarm installed ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

just saw this alarm today, should have looked harder, it's a wireless system. The OP does not want to pay eircom rates for monitoring and is wondering if alterations can be made to allow the detectors in the house to be reused and to text him if there is an activation.

Dre I guess we need the model number from the front of the panel/keypad

Stoner wrote: »
    just saw this alarm today, should have looked harder, it's a wireless system. The OP does not want to pay eircom rates for monitoring and is wondering if alterations can be made to allow the detectors in the house to be reused and to text him if there is an activation.

Some of there wire free systems can be reprogrammed to contact them if there is an alarm activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'd say your best bet is to ring a few eircom agents and see if they will sort it for you as it would be a shame to bin it

If you can get any details off the alarm i am more than happy to talk you through changing any setting in the panel.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the late reply, lots of work going on in the house.

Here is a picture of the Alarm itself ......

Sorry for the late reply, lots of work going on in the house.

Here is a picture of the Alarm itself ......

That is a Simon panel, this panel can be defaulted and reprogrammed. It is a good wire free system if you decide to add other devices on, it can take up to 24. The only drawback with using this alarm as a standalone system is if there is no external bell on the alarm. One can be fitted if is needed but you would need a cable from the panel to where you want the external bell. You can if you have a phone line in the house connect 1 phone number so when the alarm activates it will phone that number and omit a series of alarm tones to let you know the alarm has activated.

Whats the best way of going about this then ? I spoke to Phone watch who were not very helpfull . Also what other devices can i add to this ?

Whats the best way of going about this then ? I spoke to Phone watch who were not very helpfull . Also what other devices can i add to this ?

That is a common problem with them.

You can add up to 24 devices on to this system. External bell, motions, shocks, keyfobs, wire free keypads, smoke detectors.

If you want me to have a look at it for you send me a P.M.

Advertisement