Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please help to clear this up for me!

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Ok so I applied through CAO, with UK qualifications, in 2007. I got on a course etc etc and this year I was applying again as I wanted to do a different one.

I'm looking at my CAO Offer notice from 07 and at the top it has my course choices and my score, as follows:
    Lv8
    CK203  GY206  CR150  CR116 * DC121  DT354  CK401  DN030  DT211  LC391
           420      430          340    420    777   935     420    430

Lv 7
    CR022  GA776  LC321
     430   430   430

I assume that means I got around 420 points, at least for the course I took in NUIG (GY206).

However on my application this year, I have just got a letter saying I have not been given any offers, despite this year's entry points for the courses I applied for being 355, 330, 325 to 260.

What's the script there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Just comparing my Statement of Application with the one I received in 08 and it looks like they've counted my four AS grades instead of my 3 full A-Levels (plus one AS).

I never got to send them my certificates for my 2007 A-Level results, because they said they would get them straight from the examing bodies, so I moved over to Ireland before then.

Does anyone know if you can just go into them in Galway? I'll be there tomorrow.

****ing joke that I'm in this position. I applied 3 years ago, I wasn't awaiting any current examination results, I have far more points than necessary for all the courses I applied for, yet I still have to go through CAO and end up in this mess.

I never got my A2 certificates, now CAO are telling me I need them (surely between them and NUI Galway there is a record of my 430 points). I somehow need to contact the exam boards, get these certificates issued (will probably cost), and get them to CAO in time for round 2 offers, while I am in a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Applications are not kept from one year to the next so there is no link.

Yes you can go into CAO tomorrow but bring all your certs with you so they can check what they have or haven't got on their system.

Remember they will only have the information you gave them. It is not their fault if you forgot or omitted to tell them something.

Brainy wrote: »
    Applications are not kept from one year to the next so there is no link.
    Not true, as I got an email from CAO earlier telling me that yes, they did have my previous application on record, but "rules state you must provide certificates". Now I have to try and get hold of my old teachers, during the summer break, and ask them why I was never given an A2 certificate, and somehow get that to CAO before the 2nd round of offers, even though both CAO and I know for a fact I have more than enough points for my course.

Yes you can go into CAO tomorrow but bring all your certs with you so they can check what they have or haven't got on their system.

Remember they will only have the information you gave them. It is not their fault if you forgot or omitted to tell them something.
    So if they have no contact with the exam bodies, what is to stop me faking the photocopied cert they request?

By the sounds of it I could run a more competent system from my bedroom.

You have to provide original or certified copies of your results. And by the way forgies are very easy to spot.

Dont keep blaming everyone for your mistakes

• Advertisement

You have to provide original or certified copies of your results. And by the way forgies are very easy to spot.

Dont keep blaming everyone for your mistakes
    No you do not. Don't keep posting falsehoods in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

No you do not. Don't keep posting falsehoods in this thread.

Are you kidding me? Of course you do! Otherwise it would be an easy system to cheat.

Are you kidding me? Of course you do! Otherwise it would be an easy system to cheat.
    I don't blame you for being surprised.Not sure why you are trying to tell me I'm wrong though, after I have done it twice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I don't blame you for being surprised.Not sure why you are trying to tell me I'm wrong though, after I have done it twice...

Dude... You're the one having problems with your application. Everything else seems to be in order. You applied on time, you had enough points etc. What else could it be? I don't get why it's so hard for you to accept that you made a mistake instead of arguing on here about it. We can't fix it, only the CAO can.

/facepalm

Quote verbatim from page 12 of the CAO Handbook:
    They should NOT be originals; they should be photocopies

I successfully applied in 2008 following the exact same procedure.

I don't get why it's so hard for you to accept that you made a mistake instead of arguing on here about it.

• Advertisement

They should NOT be originals; they should be photocopies - certified typically by a school stamp

Not just photocopies......certified photocopies

Not just photocopies......certified photocopies
    The GCSE and AS certificates (sans stamps) I sent off were accepted and recorded just fine. I really don't understand where your argument lies here, I'm telling you what actually happens... and you're telling me I'm wrong.

Only on the internet eh

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Look, arguing with everyone won't help, regardless of who is right.

I'm *guessing* that your original offer was based on the data transmitted to the CAO for that year by the examining body in England.

However, it sounds as if this data is not held from year to year, and if you are making an application later (i.e. this year) you need to provide the certificates or copies of them, whichever, not getting into it ...

In fairness, the email you quote "telling me that yes, they did have my previous application on record, but "rules state you must provide certificates" might have given you a hint to get this done earlier.

The only advice anyone can give you now is to get cracking on gathering the necessary paperwork ASAP.

It may be worth talking to the examining body to see if they would fax the documentation directly to the CAO?

In fairness, the email you quote "telling me that yes, they did have my previous application on record, but "rules state you must provide certificates" might have given you a hint to get this done earlier.
    Er, that email was only just sent to me. I applied months ago and they said nothing.
    It may be worth talking to the examining body to see if they would fax the documentation directly to the CAO?
    Asked CAO this and they said no, they only accept them by post, despite wanting photocopies :rolleyes: nice to know our money goes toward a helpful and efficient service eh

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Er, that email was only just sent to me. I applied months ago and they said nothing.
    Well, you would presumably be a non-standard applicant, and the instructions for non-standard applicants in the CAO handbook include:

2. In respect of examinations already completed, you MUST supply to CAO certificates for all qualifications which you mention on Page 3 of the Form. (See the section in the next column concerning Summer 2010 examinations.)

a) Certificates should show dates, subjects and results.

b) They should NOT be originals; they should be photocopies - certified typically by a school stamp. CAO will NOT return original documents.

c) A certified English translation is required in the case of qualifications not issued originally in English or Irish.

3. If you apply online, instructions about the submission of any additional documentation will appear on screen.

Such documents must arrive in CAO within seven days of the submission of the online application

link

Looks like another year on the dole for me, thanks CAO!

Advertisement