Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Question.

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before but a quick search didn't show up what I was looking for. I like to go out a couple of times a week using the local equestrian centre. I'm comfortable with most outdoor riding activities within the bounds of "not risking my neck" so to speak. Of course accidents do happen though - horses get startled etc.

Often wondered how I'm covered for insurance should a mishap occur though? Should I tell my life insurance provider that I like to ride horses? I know it's at my own risk from the point of view of equestrian centres.

Just wondering :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Before owning a horse I had rider insurance. This covered me for an accident on any horse. Plus cover for any horse, and most importantly 3rd Party cover. The reason for this is imagine the worst, you're out hacking on a school horse when a car rams you! The car's insurance company are duty bound to try and recover costs from you, fault is not an issue. Second nightmare, the horse you are on kicks out at a cyclist as they go past, they're injured, you're in court for damages, hospital bills, dental etc etc....

You own your own horse, the above apply plus you can get cover for your vets bills. I'v just renewed and it's costing me €39 a month, my vets fees are covered upto 5000, with an 200 excess. Considering that my friends horse got a cut in it's hock and the vets fees went well past 4000 it's kind of worth it.

Oh and I don't work for an insurance company

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

helibelly wrote: »
    Considering that my friends horse got a cut in it's hock and the vets fees went well past 4000 it's kind of worth it.

:eek:

What kind of cut required treatment costing 4000 euro?

I had a horse who had to be brought to a veterinary hospital for colic (original 2 vets misdiagnosed) and the intensive care treatment she required didn't come anywhere near even half that!!!

Advertisement