Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelchultur courses

Options
  • 23-08-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I'm interested in taking a Gaelchultur intensive grammar course (Dianchúrsa Ullmhúcháin i gCruinneas na Gaeilge) to improve my chances in getting a place in the MA sa Gaeilge Fheidhmeach in DIT this October. Has anyone out there done these Gaelchultur courses, and would they recommend them to help improve grammar and language??

Also, anyone out there doing the MA sa Gaeilge Fheidhmeach in DIT, would love to know more info about this course too!!

Go raibh mile maith agaibh!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I would recommend any course with Gaelchultúr. They are a really well run and efficient organisation and have the best Irish classes going. I don't know anything specifically about the Dianchúrsa but it's not too dear at 450 if you're fed up of learning alone and want to get the chance to ask questions in the seminars say for things you can't find in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LynHan

Thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to the course in September!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

LynHan wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to the course in September!!:D

Just out of interest Lyn, what level would you consider yourself at now and what level do you think is being offered by the dianchúrsa and so what level do you expect it will bring you to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Hi,

I'm interested in taking a Gaelchultur intensive grammar course (Dianchúrsa Ullmhúcháin i gCruinneas na Gaeilge) to improve my chances in getting a place in the MA sa Gaeilge Fheidhmeach in DIT this October. Has anyone out there done these Gaelchultur courses, and would they recommend them to help improve grammar and language??

Also, anyone out there doing the MA sa Gaeilge Fheidhmeach in DIT, would love to know more info about this course too!!

Go raibh mile maith agaibh!! :)

I've taught intensive grammar classes with Gaelchultúr in the past and would recommend them to anyone. The approach taken makes the learning process very intuitive to learners.

I haven't done the MA sa Ghaeilge Fheidhmeach in DIT, despite having applied to it twice. The competition was very high for places when I applied. I think there were over 100 candidates doing the entrance exam. It looks like a great course, especially for anyone who has/is working in the Irish language sector.

Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I've taught intensive grammar classes with Gaelchultúr in the past and would recommend them to anyone. The approach taken makes the learning process very intuitive to learners.

I've done courses with CnaG, what way is the approach different as I was thinking of heading in there instead of CnaG for a go over the winter

• Advertisement

Not sure exactly, but I know that Gaelchultúr are looking for people with a B in Honours Irish in the Leaving Cert, so it must be a high standard of Irish to start with!

Crosáidí wrote: »
    I've done courses with CnaG, what way is the approach different as I was thinking of heading in there instead of CnaG for a go over the winter

I don't know about the CnaG courses to be honest! Check out the website www.gaelchultur.ie for info on the grammar courses!

Crosáidí wrote: »

Well both follow the TEG syllabus. Gaelchultúr teachers are given the notes and may be restricted to teaching what's in the notes only.

CnaG teachers prepare their own notes so there may be more flexibility in terms of what the teacher teaches, ie if you want to cover a particular aspect of grammar, there's a good chance the teacher will cover it for you.

Otherwise the grammar is taught more or less the same way.

It's six in one, half a dozen in the other!

I don't know about the CnaG courses to be honest! Check out the website www.gaelchultur.ie for info on the grammar courses!

www.gaelchultur.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

In part fulfilment of my New Year's resolutions, I'm going to start an Irish course next week. In particular, I'm looking at the Dianchúrsa Ullmhúcháin i gCruinneas na Gaeilge, which costs the princely sum of €450, and this thread came up when I googled it.

First, has anybody done this course yet? I need to improve my written Irish dramatically and this appears to be the best available course to achieve that aim. Am I correct when I surmise that? What alternatives are there?
    I need a structured course that will allow me to reach my target.

Second, the linked course info above doesn't have sufficient information on the structure of the course; in particular when it says 'Most of the course will be conducted online but classroom sessions will be organised on the following Saturdays...', how is it 'conducted online'? Is there an actual teacher there in real time online between certain hours? Or does the course allow you the freedom to do it when you can? Also, on the class days, what size are classes usually?

Third, the above says 'The course will focus on grammatical accuracy, writing style and translation skills. There will also be an emphasis on the technological resources available in Irish, including those that are online' but what is the breakdown and timetable of each of these areas? I'm just looking for an idea of how the course will develop and what aspects it is most emphasising,

Fourth, what's the name of the course book which goes along with it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I have done the Dianchúrsa and I would highly recommend it! There are 4 Saturday workshops to supplement the work online, which is based largely on the book Gramadach Gan Stró. The course is brilliant if you want to improve your Irish grammar, and is very well organised with an online forum for the students to ask questions, and e-mails/queries to anyone in Gaelchultúr are answered very quickly.
    I hope you enjoy the course!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I have done the Dianchúrsa and I would highly recommend it! There are 4 Saturday workshops to supplement the work online, which is based largely on the book Gramadach Gan Stró. The course is brilliant if you want to improve your Irish grammar, and is very well organised with an online forum for the students to ask questions, and e-mails/queries to anyone in Gaelchultúr are answered very quickly.
    I hope you enjoy the course!
    :)

In the meantime, d'fhéadfá do chuid Gaeilge a chleachtadh anseo, i dTeach na nGealt:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904
    Má chleachtaíonn tú do chuid Gaeilge, feabhsóidh tú níos scioptha!!

Advertisement