Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Course Change

Options
  • 23-08-2010 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi, i got my 1st choice in the CAO but i realy wanted my second but didnt get a chance to change it on the CAO.

As far as i know if i dopnt accept my 1st offer i wont get offerede my 2nd/3rd. is this true because i realy want my second choice.

Also if i cant get it through the CAO is there a good chance I can apply directly to NUIG (Galway)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi, i got my 1st choice in the CAO but i realy wanted my second but didnt get a chance to change it on the CAO.

As far as i know if i dopnt accept my 1st offer i wont get offerede my 2nd/3rd. is this true because i realy want my second choice.

Also if i cant get it through the CAO is there a good chance I can apply directly to NUIG (Galway)?

No, you have no hope of getting your second choice. Sorry to sound harsh but you had until July 1st to change it. Plenty of time. The CAO do not make exceptions for anyone. If you wanted your second choice you should have put it first. You cannot apply to NUIG directly. If you could, then everyone else could and the CAO would not be necessary.

So you have two choices: accept your 1st choice offer or do not accept it and take a year out and reapply next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

****, Thanks for clearing that up for me. And i only realy wanted the course two weeks ago. it's a balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

****, Thanks for clearing that up for me. And i only realy wanted the course two weeks ago. it's a balls.

well have a think about the course you were offered this morning, you have a week to accept it. if it's similar to the course you want there may be a way of transferring course at the end of first year. If you are not sure, you can take a year out and reapply next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Robke

same thing happened to me :(( anyone would be chuffed getting their first choice,but young head of mine only comes to realise now that the course i chose isnt for me :( it should all be more easier then this. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

That is tough alright, and I really sympathize with you on this. In a perfect world, the CAO would have enough leeway with courses to offer everyone say 2 or 3 courses and then pick which ever one the student wanted. But there's just not that scope with limited places in Ireland. They try to accommodate everyone with their first choice and then they see what happens. You wont be on your own feeling like this and my advice to you, as someone who took and did 4 years of a degree course that I really didnt want to begin with but was just not sure of what I really wanted and was just eager to get to college and live the student life... think long and hard about what you are going to do.

This is why its so important to not put your preferences down solely based on what the points were the year previous. That can only be a rough guide as we all saw, they change so much from year to year. I dont blame you at all for this. With the amount of study students have to do, I dont understand how school kids are expected to know what they want to do after the leaving cert. The courses might look great on paper, but then the student starts the course, few weeks in, hates it.. and then feels obligated to drop out or slog on with it. Theres so many out there in that boat.

If I were you, and you really want your second choice, reapply via the CAO next year and just take some time out now to maybe improve on a language or just go working in tescos for a year, or maybe even try a bit of travel and try some of those volunteer programs. Loads of people I know went aupairing for a year in france or spain and they said it was one of the best things they ever did.
    Trust me.. I know... theres nothing worse than being in a course you have no interest in and to always have it in your mind that you wanted something else.
    That said, you could always try your first choice.. give it a year.. and then maybe go back next year and secure your second choice as your number 1 on the CAO? You would have to pay fees but hey.. its just one year and it would beat having the situation I and many like me now are in.. having done a degree, went out working in several places, and now... 10 years on... going back for a second round with a new degree and having to pay for it!!!!! lol. All ill say is thank God i dont have kids!

Best of luck and dont be afraid to talk to your parents or teachers or even those helplines.... This is a massive decision in your life and you need to make the right choice, and more importantly.. the right choice.. FOR YOU!

• Advertisement
Advertisement