Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10A bus route restarting

Options
  • 23-08-2010 8:13am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen signs at bus stops saying that the 10A bus is starting again from today, at the special rate of €1, but I cannot find any other information about it. There's no timetable on buseireann.ie. Does anyone have any information? This route is very handy for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Never heard of this before what route does it take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Green bit is the difference between 10 and 10A, I think.

Associated timetable says nothing about 10A. shrug.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oliver prout

Faith wrote: »
    I've seen signs at bus stops saying that the 10A bus is starting again from today, at the special rate of €1, but I cannot find any other information about it. There's no timetable on buseireann.ie. Does anyone have any information? This route is very handy for me.

Hi my name is oliver prout and i am the owner of swift taxi and bus hire and its i have taken the step in bringing back the 10a service it is not bus eireann it is a private company the timetables too are as follows the bus leaves the south mall at 07.00 , 07.55 , 08.50 , 13.10 , 14.00 , 14.50 , 15.40 , 16.30 , 17.20 & 18.10 monday - friday it then runs back to the city from mahon point at 07.30 , 08.20 , 09.25 , 13.35 , 14.25 , 15.15 , 16.05 , 16.55 , 17.45 & 18.40 once again monday - friday if you need any further information do not hesitate to call me on 086 - 6000400 and the bus providing the service is red in colour and has a picture of an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi my name is oliver prout and i am the owner of swift taxi and bus hire and its i have taken the step in bringing back the 10a service it is not bus eireann it is a private company the timetables too are as follows the bus leaves the south mall at 07.00 , 07.55 , 08.50 , 13.10 , 14.00 , 14.50 , 15.40 , 16.30 , 17.20 & 18.10 monday - friday it then runs back to the city from mahon point at 07.30 , 08.20 , 09.25 , 13.35 , 14.25 , 15.15 , 16.05 , 16.55 , 17.45 & 18.40 once again monday - friday if you need any further information do not hesitate to call me on 086 - 6000400 and the bus providing the service is red in colour and has a picture of an eye on it.

I heard you on the radio the other day. Best of luck with this, it be great if you could do a lot of other routes Bus Eireann are cutting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Oliver you should really consider offering a service just after 9pm on thursdays and fridays when a lot of shops close late
    back when I had to use it there would have been around 20 people traveling back to the city
    the bus eireann service leaves at 9:35 which is very frustrating for anyone stuck there

same with Sunday evenings, bus leaves the same time most shops close at exactly 6pm
    next bus is at 6:45 and the one after that at 8:45! again one that catches a lot of people out

before I moved out to the area and started driving, it used take me 2 hours to get home to Mayfield if I finished work at 5, and and 90 mins if I finished at 9pm
    most of that time was spent waiting and to make things worse our lady crown church is visible from the bus stop outside Johnson & Perrott

If you ever expand, you should consider a direct route along the south link going through blackpool, mayfield and along towards mahon point, or in the mornings along to CIT and UCC.

apart from the no1 there aren't any other routes from the northside to southside that don't go through the city centre.

I remember back when I went to St. Johns the no.8 would be full with a lot of people heading to UCC/CIT,
    same with a friend of mine who walks from near the observitory in blackpool out to CIT due to it being pretty much the last stop on the No.19

A lot of opportunity there for needed routes, If I'd the lisence and money to invest I'd be doing it myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 buggerby

Oliver, I would suggest you reconsider the entire timetable. The original 10a service was suppressed because it didnt cover the costs.. That was mostly due to the bus leaving or departing either 10 mins before or 10 mins after number 10.. The fact that nr 10a leaves every 55 minutes covering a shorter route than nr 10, doesnt help either.. if it takes less to cover the distance it would make a lot more sense the service were more frequent.
    I agree with Flesh Gorden that the Line should allow for late runs as well.. Besides the city center, Mahon is full with call centers that have people off any time after 8 pm, not to mention Mahon Point.. a service between the 20.35 and the 21.25 that bus Eireann provides would probably be a godsend to most:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, I gave it a go today. I finish work at 6, and typically the number 10 has shít times - 5.55 or 6.25 :rolleyes:. It was about 15 minutes late (in fact, it arrived at the exact same time as the number 10) but I'm willing to put that down to it being the first day.

I'd suggest reconsidering the timetable too to times that people actually need a bus at. Like buggerby said, the 10A always ran too close to the 10. For example in the morning, there's a 10 at 8.15 and a 10A at 8.20. Both get me into town far too early for work at 9, but as soon as the schools go back, the 8.40 no. 10 will be useless to me. The 10 also is ridiculous at close of work times - it goes at 5, 5.30 and 5.55 - all useless to anyone who finishes work at 5, 5.30 or 6. I'd suggest a morning bus at 8.30, while keeping the 6.10 bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

questions from the g/f!
    it this doing doing the exact same route as the 10a from bus eireann did? does it stop on south mall in the morning?
    i drove past this bus today and it was packed, is it always 1 euro?

I got this bus again a few days ago and again it was 10 minutes late. Hopefully that will sort itself out soon because the importance of punctuality cannot be overstated in public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

ah man, I go away for a few weeks and they introduce a new route!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Life is tough i know!

I got this bus again a few days ago and again it was 10 minutes late. Hopefully that will sort itself out soon because the importance of punctuality cannot be overstated in public transport.

Hey Faith,

Does it take the same route as the old bus eireann service?

I'll have to update the website anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkinTex

I've been taking the 10A service a couple of times now after work. It's route differs just a bit from the 10, but it still gets me from Mahon -> Centre.

Also one of the few buses I've ever had which sees me waiting on the other side of the street and waits for the traffic to pass so I could get on. Cheaper too.

Thumbs up.

Hey Faith,

Does it take the same route as the old bus eireann service?

I'll have to update the website anyway.

Yeah, it's the exact same route, with the same stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Nail on the head. In fairness though, because of the lack of bus lanes in Cork and the narrowness of many of the existing roads our busses are condemned to a future of sitting in traffic.

Unlike:

hess-trolleybus-bgt-n2c-16700.jpg

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Wow, your website is really great. I'm moving back to Cork next year and presumed I would have to go through town to get from Douglas to UCC. Never knew about a south orbital route. Cheers!

Quick question, is the timetable shown here still valid or have they changed it?

The timetable stayed the same, but is laughable. The service is a joke, tbh. I thought Bus Eireann was bad! I gave up getting it because it was always a minimum of 15 minutes late and the driver went at about 25kph. So the 6.10 bus never arrived on South Mall before 6.25, and I'd be extremely lucky to make it in my door in Blackrock by 6.50. That was okay when the fare was €1, but they raised it to €1.50. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Good to hear the feedback Faith, I'm living in pretty much the same area as you and herself was wondering about this bus.

Thanks Faith.

Do they run at the weekend?

• Advertisement

No, Monday - Friday only afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 angel23angel

I believe it is quite a good alternative to the number 10!
    I am the happiest guy on the route since it started,it quite slow and it gives you the feeling it is going to brake down at any minute but the driver always waits for us at the end of the working hours and he drops me right next to my house´s gate
    Let give them a chance those people are making their making a living of it ,if there was not route ,that poor guy would have to emigrate on his late 50s

Advertisement