Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm water species in Irish waters?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

So, has anybody else noticed an increase in sightings of warm water species in Irish waters this year?

Examples:
    1. I love octopus, I think they're really cool, and seeing them is always a highlight of a dive in warmer climes. But I've never seen one in Ireland. I know they've always been here, but in small numbers and not regularly sighted. But this year, I've heard of octopus sightings at Rockabill, Lambay, St. John's Point and Baltimore (I mentioned this on another thread already).

2. Last week in Mallinbeg, Co. Donegal, I saw two huge triggerfish. Once again, I've never seen one in Ireland before, and I thought we didn't get them here. They were easily as big as a Titan Triggerfish, but weren't patterned like a Titan is, they were just a plain silver/grey colour.

3. Today at Greenore, Co. Louth, I saw a Crinoid. A feckin' crinoid, ffs. I've only ever seen them in the Phillipines before.

So, has anyone else any examples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Hi Loco Triggers on Thumb rock mullaghmore too. I ws loking for them yesterday but of course no sign there when i had the camera. sligo sub aqua has some great shots on teir facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

So, has anybody else noticed an increase in sightings of warm water species in Irish waters this year?

Examples:
    1. I love octopus, I think they're really cool, and seeing them is always a highlight of a dive in warmer climes. But I've never seen one in Ireland. I know they've always been here, but in small numbers and not regularly sighted. But this year, I've heard of octopus sightings at Rockabill, Lambay, St. John's Point and Baltimore (I mentioned this on another thread already).

Octopus are common enough - two species in fact. Common Octopus and Lesser Octopus.

2. Last week in Mallinbeg, Co. Donegal, I saw two huge triggerfish. Once again, I've never seen one in Ireland before, and I thought we didn't get them here. They were easily as big as a Titan Triggerfish, but weren't patterned like a Titan is, they were just a plain silver/grey colour.

They were probably the Grey Triggerfish, and have been around for a few years. These are territorial, and may be found at the same locale the following year.

3. Today at Greenore, Co. Louth, I saw a Crinoid. A feckin' crinoid, ffs. I've only ever seen them in the Phillipines before.

This was probably a Featherstar (Antedon Bifida) which is not uncommon in the North and Irish Sea.

So, has anyone else any examples?

Yes, an Electric Eel - a freshwater species from the Amazon. Seen in Kerry last year.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Often catch octupus when boat fishing around Wexford. Trigger fish being caught around Clare for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Down west cork,Iv come across triggers more and more over the last 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki?search=Grey+triggerfish

I thought possibly Grey Triggerfish, but if you look at the pic on the Wiki page, it's not actually all that grey. What's in that pic wasn't what I saw.

Also from Wikipedia:
    Crinoids, also known as sea lilies or feather-stars, are marine animals that make up the class Crinoidea of the echinoderms (phylum Echinodermata).

So, when I say "I saw a crinoid", I could just have easily said "I saw a feather star". Doesn't change the fact that previously I'd only seen them in the Phillipines! :)
    Looking at this page http://www.habitas.org.uk/marinelife/species.asp?item=ZB110, I'd say you're nearly right on the species, but I'd say the one I saw had 20 or 25 arms, not 10. (Echinoderms are pentaradially symmetrical, so all crinoid species have a multiple of 5 arms, a factoid I learned yesterday)

Seadeuce, could you please do me a favour and edit your post so that your answers aren't being attributed to me in a quote. Let me know if you need me to tell you how to do so. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Its not what iv come across either.The fish iv seen are a more mix of dark blue and purple.A beautiful fish and its great to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Sting Ray in Galway last May Bank Holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a Seriola Rivoliana a couple of weeks ago, these are commonly known as Almaco Jack and are not common at all, in fact this may be a new record for Ireland.
    Triggerfish are not unusual here, I have a fish book from 1908 that lists Triggerfish here in a couple of places in the previous century.
    Stingrays are also not unusual especially around Dingle and parts of the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Examples:

Yep, saw one of these up there a few weeks back. A grey/blue colour. I've only seen Trigger Fish in Thailand (looks very different to this) so it was great so see one here.

TriggerFish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Triggers are good eating.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement