Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with neglected dog

Options
  • 22-08-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey,
    I need some advise/suggestions in relation to my neighbours dog.

My neighbour has a westie dog. Its a lovely little thing. The problem is that he is being neglected by his owners. Basically he is left out the back garden in all kinds of weather. He just has a little kennel for shelter. The garden is in a state which resembles a dump at times. The owner is rarely there and only comes up to feed every couple of days. A couple of tins of dog food are thrown out to feed the dog. The dog is scruffy and needs a good wash. There is dog dirt all over the place.
    I have rung the dspca and they came up and warned my neighbour. They couldn't do anything really.
    The reason i'm writing this is that i'm at my wits end at what to do. This dog deserves a better life than this at the moment.
    I would just like some advise/suggestions as what can be done in this situation.
    Any replies would be grateful thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Contact the Animal Cruelty Inspector - you'll get their number on the ISPCA website. Also contact the Gardai and tell your local SPCA that you are doing this.
    When you get action, try to have the dog taken to a shelter and not to the pound, where he will only be kept for a few days before being PTS.
    If you make enough of a fuss you will get results.
    Best of luck and well done to you for caring so much.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Maybe the dog will get out of the garden never to be found again :)

boxerly wrote: »
    Maybe the dog will get out of the garden never to be found again :)

Ya - I actually thought of saying that too! He could be happily in a rescue centre very quickly where hopefully he would be adopted by a caring owner. I know we shouldn't encourage that but.........!

encourage what ?? :) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

boxerly wrote: »
    encourage what ?? :) xxx

Dognapping!!

• Advertisement

nope never said that !

Me neither!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

I'd suggest going the legal route and reporting a possible neglect case.
    Other option is to offer to buy the dog from them and then getting in touch with Westie rescue if you can't adopt the dog yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭suzycat

Thanks for advise guys. Yeah will try ispca and gardai and see what happens.
    As for the other option have thought about it!
    Have let the dog out a couple of times but comes back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MrsMiaWallace

errr the idea was to let the dog out and take it to a re-homing centre! 'oh look iv found a dog'...:rolleyes: not let him wander the streets! he is bound to go back as he knows thats where his bed is even if it is a crap bed :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

errr the idea was to let the dog out and take it to a re-homing centre! 'oh look iv found a dog'...:rolleyes: not let him wander the streets! he is bound to go back as he knows thats where his bed is even if it is a crap bed :mad:

In fairness its a pure bred dog and first thing that would happen is it'd be scanned and the owner would just come and pick it up.

Scanned? With owners like that it's highly unlikely that they bothered to microchip the poor little thing.
    To the OP - stop waiting for advice on what to do and just get on with it! The more time thats lost the more time the poor dog will suffer. Contact the Gardai and the ISPCA Cruelty Inspector immediately if not sooner!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

OP would you be interested in taking the dog yourself?

Why not approach the 'owner' and see if you can make an arrangement?

Advertisement