Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbonation Questions

Options
  • 22-08-2010 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Bottled up a batch of Coopers lager 3 days ago.
    As a bit of an experiment I reused a clear, screwtop miller bottle.
    I want to watch the carbonation and clarifying and see if the miller bottle would hold the gas.
    (The rest of the batch is in brown, heavy glass bud bottles)
    At present there are small bubbles drifting to the top every 5 seconds or so and the beer is 50% clear.
    There is a noticable layer of sediment.

Is this sediment likley to be sugar or yeast or both?
    Should i give the batch a little shake to enliven the yeast and further disolve any sugar or leave it alone?
    Has anyone tried reusing the screwtop miller bottles and if so what results did you have?

Cheers
    Stew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I've done it.

They turn out less fizzy than other bottles. I expreinced difficulty getting the bottles capped.

You want the sediment out of the beer, so don't shake it up. As with most things in Home Brew: just leave it, it'll be fine.

Advertisement