Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pup food

Options
  • 22-08-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

hi

im looking for advice on food for my red setter, she is 5 and a half months, i have her on red mills mother and puppy, she is in great condition and not over weight, should i move her onto another feed now or is she alright on the red mills for another bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Red Mills do a large range of food - some are better quality than others. Leader and Leader Supreme are the two that are the best quality. As pups grow (particularly large breed pups) their needs change very quickly. If the food you are feeding her has a high protein content it would be a good idea to switch to something that is more suitable. It could cause growth problems in the long bones (legs) of the body if you have her on a food that is not suitable for her needs.

Personally, I switch pups around the 6 months mark (usually after they are neutered) to adult food. Some people leave it later, some people don't feed puppy food at all and some switch very soon after weaning - it really has to do with what is best for you individual dogs needs. Do the research before you switch and change over gradually (if you plan to do so) to prevent a dodgy belly.

Other good food brands are Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange and Burns.

Advertisement