Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking on Lough Gur?

Options
  • 22-08-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I was at the lovely Lough Gur today and started wondering about kayaking on there. I've been thinking about getting a kayak for a while and recently spent an afternoon in Dingle Bay kayaking with an instructor which was brilliant but I'm only a wee thing and found it a bit hard going against the waves and wind (ok I'll 'fess up, I had to be towed back). So then when I saw the calm waters of Lough Gur ...

I don't have a kayak and reading through the threads I've discounted buying an inflatable and know I ought to get some more instruction under my belt. So - is there a canoe club or instructor around the Co. Limerick area and is kayaking safe/allowed on Lough Gur? It'd be great to be on the water away from the madding crowds!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

i used to work in kilfinane outdoor ed centre (mid 80"s) and we did our canoeing on this lake, try them, they have a web site, as they may still use the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Thanks, I'll try that. Also found the Limerick Canoe Club so hopefully not too long before it's me and the swans on Lough Gur!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Me & a mate of mine go canoeing on the lake quite often & never had any issues it's quite a shame it's not used more, but then you don't want it overcrowded :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

Sounds like a truly marvellous idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Was over there this evening with the gf it was very relaxing indeed,it would be nice to see a few more people out on the water though so hurry up guys & gals :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 white fox

Hi Spuddy1. Did level 2 kayaking skills on Lough Gur with Kilfinane out door center.Wud b nice 2 see more activity on the lake.Looking 4 some body's to go paddling with at the moment.Must b other paddlers in the same boat.
    :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

+1 for Kilfinane OEC, i started out with them on Gur, mostly they run courses during the summer there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Going to paddle the lough sometime soon. Anyone on it lately?

Had a paddle there this evening. Thankfully the rain held of and it was dry and sunny. A few walkers about and no one else on the water.

Anyone plan oh hitting the lake over the spring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Where is it? Brothers big into photography and was going to take him somewhere in the Canadian. Is it scenic?

Advertisement