Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured seagull. Need advice.

Options
  • 22-08-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I picked up an injured seagull at the beach this morning. He can't fly or even stand but has no open wound that I can see. I put him in a cat box with water and some bread but after several hours there is no change.

Googling just now I see bread is not recommended but it doesn't suggest what else to try. Any suggestions?

A neighbour says if I take it to a vet tomorrow the ISPCA will pay for treatment. Does anyone know if this is true? Money is awfully tight at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

imokyrok wrote: »
    I picked up an injured seagull at the beach this morning. He can't fly or even stand but has no open wound that I can see. I put him in a cat box with water and some bread but after several hours there is no change.

Googling just now I see bread is not recommended but it doesn't suggest what else to try. Any suggestions?

A neighbour says if I take it to a vet tomorrow the ISPCA will pay for treatment. Does anyone know if this is true? Money is awfully tight at the moment.
    Fish would be the natural diet. Is he brown coloured (young bird) or mostly white (adult)?. Post a picture and we'll be able to identify the species. Alot of vets will not charge for a wild animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Seagulls are scavengers. They will eat anything (you might be familliar with them rummaging thru the bins). Some wet dog food, human food (dinner leftovers etc... ) should do. Be carefull with their beak, it's awfully sharp. If someone at home can give you a hand you might forcefeed the first portion, wrap the bird in a towel and watch out for your eyes as the bird might aim at them. Once you have it in your hand can you feel the breastbone? Is is protruding or is there some muscle (breast like) around it. If the bone is sticking out the bird is malnourished. It really is hard to assess when they go down unless it is a broken wing. Try with the forcefeeding and then wait. If no improvement then not much can be done. I know some bits about birds so get back to me if you need any more help.

micheleabc wrote: »
    Seagulls are scavengers. They will eat anything (you might be familliar with them rummaging thru the bins). Some wet dog food, human food (dinner leftovers etc... ) should do. Be carefull with their beak, it's awfully sharp. If someone at home can give you a hand you might forcefeed the first portion, wrap the bird in a towel and watch out for your eyes as the bird might aim at them. Once you have it in your hand can you feel the breastbone? Is is protruding or is there some muscle (breast like) around it. If the bone is sticking out the bird is malnourished. It really is hard to assess when they go down unless it is a broken wing. Try with the forcefeeding and then wait. If no improvement then not much can be done. I know some bits about birds so get back to me if you need any more help.
    I wouldn't go forcefeeding him especially if the person doesn't know how to do it properly. They could end up injuring the bird. Wait and see what the vet says!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PeaSoup

Bring him to the vets. They will, more than likely, put the bird down. But well done on rescuing a lovely little creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I discovered that there is a wildlife rescue centre on Griffith Avenue and brought the seagull there first thing this morning. The man who runs it has a few seagulls in so hopefully he has the magic touch! The gull was mainly white so an adult and he was still showing no signs of feeding - not even sardines tempted him. Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I know some think of gulls as vermin because they are so common but I've always thought they are beautiful creatures.

• Advertisement

imokyrok wrote: »
    I discovered that there is a wildlife rescue centre on Griffith Avenue and brought the seagull there first thing this morning. The man who runs it has a few seagulls in so hopefully he has the magic touch! The gull was mainly white so an adult and he was still showing no signs of feeding - not even sardines tempted him. Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I know some think of gulls as vermin because they are so common but I've always thought they are beautiful creatures.
    Nice work, Hope he makes it thanks to your help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Poochie05

This website has useful information on whta to do if you find an injured wild animal:
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/

Advertisement