Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water well drilling

Options
  • 22-08-2010 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all

We drilled for water over two years ago and we have never really been happy with our water supply. It can still at times be a bit dirty and silt still comes through. Recently also the well went dry but its back now again. I am worried the impact all this is having on our solar panels firstly.

Secondly someone who was working on our house at the time said he didn't believe that the company drilled as far as they said which was 500 feet. The total cost for everything was €8600. So my question is how can we check that the company drilled 500 feet?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

kilmurry wrote: »
    I am worried the impact all this is having on our solar panels firstly.

Your solar panels in a closed loop containing glycol, nothing to worry about there.
    Re the depth, there is only one way to find out AFAIK, a long rope and a weight at the end of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rayjdav

OP,
    As above for the well depth. Bit of advice though, you will need to "shock" (sterilise) the well after you do this proceedure. Simple to do with named brand steriliser or similar. Just leave and flush system after 24hrs. Take sample and send for testing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kilmurry

Hi,

Thanks for advice. We measured the depth using a weight and it measured 180 feet, that a big difference from the 500 feet they quoted and which we paid for. I suppose we should call them out again and get it double checked.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

you might let us all know how you get on with the hole cowboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jenrich

Hi there, yours caught my eye as I am considering a dwelling on a site needing services not far from Kilmurry. The borehole depth discrepancy you describe is scary-is there something you might have checked during the drilling process? Any instrument reading maybe? .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Jasus, 500 feet is a savage depth for a well. Our well was drilled to 80 feet until they found water. They then kept going to 120 feet to ensure that we would have water in times of dry weather. That was 30 years ago and its as good today as it was the first day. Definitely get them back to sort it out!!

Advertisement