Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

experiences of carpal hyperextension in cats?

Options
  • 22-08-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this?
    I noticed yesterday that my cat was sometimes holding his paw above the ground when sitting upright, as if it was sore, and I then noticed that when walking on this leg, he was putting the weight back on the 'wrist' as well as on his paw.

I tried to examine his leg and there is no external injury like something stuck in the pad or a cut, I squeezed the pad to extend the claws etc and this did not cause him any pain, and also flexed the 'wrist' joint, he just looked at me as if I was mad! he is also still running around as usual chasing the rabbit (don't worry, they're best friends!) and jumping from heights.

when looking up his symptoms I found this:
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/carpal-hyperextension-in-cats/page1.aspx

which seems to be similar in terms of how he is walking on his paw and 'wrist', and also sounds very serious :(

I am unable to bring him to a vet until next weekend, I was planning on just keeping an eye on him to see if it cleared up itself as it only appeared yesterday evening, and he does not appear to be in major pain, but am just wondering if anyone has any more insight on this, am very worried about him now!!

Advertisement