Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hints for Summer Work (2011)

Options
  • 21-08-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Just researching work for next summer, when I'm finished school I want to work for Dublin during July and August, accommodation doesn't seem difficult to find, but a job or two will be needed to finance accommodation and such!
    Do you have any hints, tips or tricks when finding a job in Dublin? I'm sure it's not too easy, but I'd love to work and live in Dublin! Is there any places that will take someone on for summer? I plan to attend college in Dublin (UCD more than likely) so I could work weekends and holidays, but I am focusing on the summer first!
    Best places to apply for work? Best time to send CV's and such?
    Thanks in advance! :]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

Hi,

Depends on your current skill-set really. Have you worked in bar/restaurant/retail before at home? From my experience places in Dublin only take experienced bar and waiting staff simply due to the pace of trade. There are some seasonal things like working in summer schools as activity co-ordinators for foreign language students. These language schools normally run out of the university campuses during the summer. You could try googling "language school Dublin". Normally they'd be hiring in the Spring (March on) but again experience working with kids pretty essential and not sure what their policy on hiring a school-leaver would be. Alternatively you could try signing up to a temping agency.

Apologies if my post is over-negative. Personal experience has shown me that getting p/t employment in Dublin is very difficult.

Good luck.
    NM

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Hey NM,
    Thanks for the answer, I have worked in a bar/restaurant set up previously, even though it was only for a short time, and I've passed the Safe Food exam, so I'll look into that! Also, the language schools idea is one I hadn't thought of, I'll be sure to look into that during the new year.
    I don't find your comment overly negative, I understand how hard it would be to get work, it's just something I'd love to do, if I can't do it next year, then I will try to the year after :)
    Thanks again!

Advertisement