Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you interpret "test of model effects" in SPSS please?

• 21-08-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,
    I would love some help on interpreting spss readouts please. I've tried looking this up on the net but I just can't understand it :o
    I'm testing for a relationship between breed (of horse) and management type on the display of frustration related behaviour (biting etc.). It's for a MSc thesis.

I am useless with stats. I have been told that the "test of model effects" is the important bit as far as reporting results is concerned. But I don't understand the meaning of "(intercept)" on spss.
    There are 3 sets of results. Here is my spss readout:

Tests of Model Effects
    Type III
    Source Wald Chi-Square df Sig.
    (Intercept) 854.958 1 .000
    Breed 35.546 1 .000
    Management 2.739 1 .098
    Dependent Variable: Task.related frustration behaviour
    Model: (Intercept), Breed, Management

I asked which to report and was told to report "both results". I can see that you would want to know the individual influence of each variable but I don't understand how to interpret from this the breed x management interaction, surely that should be only one p value?

I emailed my supervisor on friday to ask this but he won't reply until monday. I'm running out of time with this and didn't want to let the weekend go without making some sort of progress so I'm hoping someone on here will help please....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

How did you measure display of frustration related behaviour? Which specific commands did you use above?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrs.machine

Hi efla,
    Thanks for your reply. He has contacted me and said that there must be something wrong with my version of spss as what I pasted in my email looked odd. So I sent him my data file and he did it and the results readout looked totally different. Maybe I had instructions for a different version of spss as mine is the brand new one PASW 17. So I'm sorted now...I think...

I did an ethogram of frustration behaviours first and then I measured frustration behaviours using ad libitum sampling on a check sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Had to google that (ethogram) :) How did you collect the data, if you dont mind my asking (partners family are big into horses!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrs.machine

Sorry, my fault, I get so used to talking to people from my course who know the jargon that I forget that not everyone is into animal behaviour.

No bother, I could happily bore you to death on this :D I was testing for breed differences in learning and frustration related behaviour. I tested 15 Thoroughbreds and 15 Shetlands. I taught them to perform a simple task in exchange for food rewards. They had to touch a plastic cube with their nose. Every time they did it (or something resembling it at the beginning) they earned food. The number of rewards they were given before they reached criterion was my measure of speed of learning. When they successfully performed 10 successive cube-touches (criterion) I stopped giving them the rewards and counted how many times they touched the cube before giving up. This was my measure of persistence. They were frustrated during this phase as they had learned to expect a reward so I recorded any frustration related behaviour displayed.

Advertisement