Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on shower

Options
  • 21-08-2010 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I moved out to my dads house last week, a new build maybe about a year old. Theres room over the bath for a shower, plumbed and wired. Went to buy an electric shower unit today and the woman said she needs to know if the supply is coming from the mains or from the tank. There are showers to suit either way and if i get the wrong unit apparently it will cause problems.

Can anyone give me any more advice?

This is the unit i want to buy (although i asked in a builders providers for advice/pricing)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8331953/Trail/searchtext%3EELECTRIC+SHOWER.htm

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The pipe that is in place above the bath, where is the other end of it going? If its just above the stud in the attic not connected to anything, then it doesn't matter if its mains or tank fed, you can just make the connection in the attic anyway.

That particular shower should be fed from the mains. The black think hydro dare pipe that feeds your storage tank in the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

Had a quick look in the attic, i'm a plasterer so pipe work is a little out of my league lol.

From the looks of things the main tank is going to a smaller tank thats about 100L. From there it splits to the hot press and the bathroom so i'm guessing its the supply for the shower. Its very hard to see with all the insulation. I'll have a better look in the morning.

Thanks for the reply dude :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Dioza wrote: »
    Had a quick look in the attic, i'm a plasterer so pipe work is a little out of my league lol.

From the looks of things the main tank is going to a smaller tank thats about 100L. From there it splits to the hot press and the bathroom so i'm guessing its the supply for the shower. Its very hard to see with all the insulation. I'll have a better look in the morning.

Thanks for the reply dude :)

Here is another dude:)

The smaller tank suggests that the heating system is an open system and the smaller tank is the header tank for it.

IMO the easiest way to do this is turn off the rising main under the sink in the kitchen, normally there anyway, open the kitchen tap to relieve pressure in the pipe work and then open the blanking off fitting on the pipe over bath.

If water continues to flow for a while the the pipe is not off rising main but from larger supply tank

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Here is another dude:)

The smaller tank suggests that the heating system is an open system and the smaller tank is the header tank for it.

IMO the easiest way to do this is turn off the rising main under the sink in the kitchen, normally there anyway, open the kitchen tap to relieve pressure in the pipe work and then open the blanking off fitting on the pipe over bath.

If water continues to flow for a while the the pipe is not off rising main but from larger supply tank

Did that carlow. Shes coming from the tank in the attic, the main one not the smaller one like i would have thought. But anyway, i think that rules out most of the Argos showers :P and i was quoted 240 or so euro in a builders providers for a "Mira" tank fed unit, not sure of model. Any idea where i'd get a reasonably priced one? Work isn't too plentiful as you know so i can't be "splashing" out big bucks on showers. Excuse the pun :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did that carlow. Shes coming from the tank in the attic, the main one not the smaller one like i would have thought.

It should be the main one anyway. But why not just blank that, and then tap into the mains. A tee for the mains, a blank, a 310 and a small bit of pipe should get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Always remember. Just because you have a mains line does not mean a mains shower will always work. Triton themselves will atest to the fact that t80s are shhh crap outside dublin or cork.

If at all possible pay the extra and get the tank fed shower.

Always remember. Just because you have a mains line does not mean a mains shower will always work. Triton themselves will atest to the fact that t80s are shhh crap outside dublin or cork.

If at all possible pay the extra and get the tank fed shower.

Is that due to low water pressure?

Is that due to low water pressure?

Exxxactly.... Although if this happens to you then you can branch off the shower to the attic tank and using a T450i you can boost up the pressure to the shower and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 inquisitive one

just built recently & had bought a really brilliant looking electric shower which didn't work as the water pressure in my area wasn't good enough, i contacted my local water board & they advised me that the only electric shower that they would recommend for the water pressure in my area is a triton t90 - fitted it & it works grand.

on the other hand I also have fitted showers which are fed from the tank in the attic/cylinder in hotpress (sorry not a plumber but think one feeds the other) which have a salamander booster pump on them & they are brilliant altogether - would def recommend this option over fitting electric shower any day.

just built recently & had bought a really brilliant looking electric shower which didn't work as the water pressure in my area wasn't good enough, i contacted my local water board & they advised me that the only electric shower that they would recommend for the water pressure in my area is a triton t90 - fitted it & it works grand.

on the other hand I also have fitted showers which are fed from the tank in the attic/cylinder in hotpress (sorry not a plumber but think one feeds the other) which have a salamander booster pump on them & they are brilliant altogether - would def recommend this option over fitting electric shower any day.

The first shower is a T90 its a tank fed shower.

The second shower is a power shower. Its the dogs.... however it requires a store of hot water. Not practical with daughters...:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement