Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poorly cat-need advice/vet info please!

Options
  • 21-08-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've just arrived home, my cat was asleep on her usual ledge in the utility room, but when I went to pet her I noticed she was holding herself in an awkward way. She jumped down but instead of running around and tripping me up, she's been creeping around the house with her back arched, trying to sit down and getting up again. She's also trying to crawl under the couch but crouches down and almost thinks better of it. She lay on the floor for a while, growling, and swiping at me. When I brushed along her back (trying to get a reaction to see if it was her back/leg/paw/hip that was bothering her), she squeaked when I got to the middle of her back. She is very much an outside cat, coming and going all day, and we were away all day so I don't know how long she's been like this for.
    Has anybody experienced this before? She's not having contenience problems, and her tail's still wagging and thumping, so I don't think her back's broken. She managed to jump up on her ledge. Is this something that can be slept off or, as I suspect, is a vet's visit in order? Can anybody recommend a vet in the Dundrum, Dublin 14 area that would be available on saturday night or Sunday morning? Also, how much roughly is an emergency consultation?
    Sorry for all the rambling and questions, just worried about my kitty!! She's asleep now, and actually looks quite comfy, so I'm really hoping she's just got a tummy bug and nothing more serious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

having a cat for 16 years so far, it sounds as though she could be constipated. If your unsure about a vet, make sure for the next 24 hours that shes drinking water, if not, you can do what I do in similar situations, i use a syringe (minus needle), and give flat 7up into her mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Please take your cat to the vet.

Cats hide all but the most severe discomfort - if your cat is bad enough that you can actually notice difficulty in moving and pain on being touched, she really needs to see a vet.

In terms of who's open etc, I believe UCD vets might be available to you, but am sure another poster will be along soon to give you contact details.

Advertisement