Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food Prices

Options
  • 21-08-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

We are feeding our Labrador on dry dog food, its 55 euro a bag. I was looking at Dry food in Woodies DIY for 19 euro and 24 Euro.
    Has anyone any experience with any of Woodies dog food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gtturbokid

55e?? what food is it?
    i give my lab massbrook sprint beefy cruch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What siz bag is it for €55?

The aldi dog food, called 'complete' i think is €3.95 for a 3kg bag. Comes in either veg or beef. My lab loves it, and his coat and improved since i started him on it. It was recommended to me by a guy i work with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

James wellbeloved 15kg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Wainwrights is a fairly decent food with similar protein levels to JWB - £32 stg for a 15kg bag - can buy it online on petsathome.com. Also their own brand is £30stg for 12kg with decent ingredients has higer protein levels though. Can't comment on the Woodies though I'd imagine it would have more fillers in it so you'd be feeding more of it.

<ETA> Wainwrights comes in various flavours also like JWB with a grain free one as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That's about what you'd pay for JWB alright. Usually with dog food you get what you pay for. I've found that the budget food from Brenda's Pets is great, mine do better on it than some of the more expensive ones; €35 for about 17kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some dogs can thrive on any type of food and seem to have iron stomachs. It's best to feed your dog the best quality food you can, cheaper brands a dog can survive on and live to a ripe old age but lots of the cheaper brands have sugar, artifical ingredients etc.

Perhaps try zooplus.co.uk to see if they have anything that suits.

Red Mills is a decent quality cheaper brand €24.99 a bag.

If you stick with something like JWB royal canin, Burns or the like I would say it would cost around 7 euro a week to feed a dog that size at most. When you break it down per week it's not that expensive but obviously it works out cheaper if you use a cheaper dry food.

A friend of mine trains dogs for search and rescue. He was in my house one day and said my dog was on the wrong food. He said he knew by his eyes and his nose an also his coat was dull. we switched and the dog looks better.i was wondering if anyone knew a good food but just a bit easier on the pocket. we use a 15kg bag over 4.5 weeks.

My friend dose not live in this country so he can't recommend a food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I worked in a pet shop for a few years and I have 3 dogs my self, one lab mix, and 2 elderly jack russell terriers.

Have you tried red mills? you can get a 15kg back for about 20 euro or so from any pet superstore, or anywhere that sells Redmills Horse food usually have it.

Red Mills Complete Dog Food, Its in a RED paper bag,

OR

Red Mills Complete Country Dog Food, which is in a YELLOW paper bag

Other great brands which I have only seen in pet shops, are

Febo Complete Dog Food, and Beta Complete Dog Food,

Beta was always the most popular because it was available in a number of flabours, Lamb, Chicken, Beef,

I've only seen them sold in pet shops, but they are NOT veterinary foods, with veterinary prices! They are high street prices.

Even tesco Premium/Supreme own brand pet food is quite good, and reasonably priced. Its no harm changing the food up every now and then, just so they dont get bored and go off there food.

Most pet shops sell smaller made up bags of 1 or 2 kgs to sell, of the various dog foods they stock, so why not try a few of the brands, see how your dog likes them, and see how your wallet likes them!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

My Pooches are fed ''Wagg'' 17kg €14.95 at B&Q. B&Q is the cheapest for Wagg. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Falcon Crest

We feed our dog Purina Bakers Complete. About 11 euro for a 3KG size bag. He loves it, he'll eat other dog food if he has to but he loves this stuff. I hope it's a good one to give him? Everyone comments on how shiny and healthy he looks.

• Advertisement

TaraR wrote: »
    My Pooches are fed ''Wagg'' 17kg €14.95 at B&Q. B&Q is the cheapest for Wagg. :D

Do you know much about the ingredients? Is it beneficial for the Dog? Like will it keep it healthy or just full?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Do you know much about the ingredients? Is it beneficial for the Dog? Like will it keep it healthy or just full?

http://www.waggfoods.co.uk/animals-dogs-nutrients.aspx

Well my four love it ;) they have nice and shiny coats etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Falcon Crest

TaraR wrote: »

Oh yeah, I picked that up before in Woodies. Very reasonable. Our fella wasn't too impressed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Feed my GS Burns dog food. He does really well on this and people always comment on how shiny his coat is. I buy it from zooplus.co.uk (not zooplus.ie) I always buy two bags together as it works out slightly cheaper. Delivery is free and very prompt. It is quite a bit cheaper than what my local vets charge and works out at only €7 per week as I 15kg bag last 6 weeks. If you can at all buy the better quality food. It really is cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Would the food your seeing in woodies be red mills by any chance? Red mills have three dog food ranges leader, winner and star. Star (yellow bag) is the lowest quality and I wouldn't reccommend it at all. Winner (blue bag) is of medium quality, it's not the worst but I still wouldn't feed it to my dog. Then there's the leader range, it's of much higher quality than star or winner, there are better quality foods out there but it is decent quality and quite affordable, leader adult supreme is again a bit better than leader adult.

http://www.redmills.ie/ie/pet/products/leader/products/

The thing with cheaper dog foods is that you have to feed more of them for the dog to get enough out of it so when you say JWB lasts 4.5 weeks at €55, a €19 bag may only last you 2-3 weeks (Im pulling figures out of thin air but you get the idea), look at the reccommended daily allowances of each bag and you'l find the cheaper quality the food the more of it you have to feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Petworld are stocking a new dog food called Barking Mad. It has different variations for gentle digestion, for overweight dogs, for healthy coats, puppy food, and the regular adult type. It's a UK company and the food has no additives and they're very staunchly anti-filler, so there's not maize or that kind of thing.
    It's 9.99 for a 2kg bag and they're selling the 12kg bag for 49.99, instead of the RRP of 59.99. My three are on the gentle digestion bag and even the one who'd be a fussy eater if she was let away with it, is gobbling it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

i was wondering if anyone knew a good food but just a bit easier on the pocket. we use a 15kg bag over 4.5 weeks.

GAIN complete, €17 for 15kg, Perfect Pets, Longmile Rd., Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I'm trying my new rescue dog on james wellbeloved which is €60 for 15kg. I'm hoping to get at least a month out of it in which case I reckon it will be no more expensive than say pedigree chum from the local supermarket. He has a dodgy tummy and it seems to be suiting him well. At the same time I've started feeding a special formulae diet food to my other dog who's obese and I must say the difference in her energy levels is striking. The quality does seem to matter even though I would have said before that the named brands from the supermarket were fine.

Does anyone know of a site which outlines the ideal nutritional ingredients to make comparison between brands easier in case keeping up this food regime becomes economically non-viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

On the subject of food what about catfood? I find I spend a fortune trying to keep up with my five cats appetite. A 2kg bag of kitekat of whiskers every second or third day. Does anyone here bulk buy for cats and if so how does that work out financially for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

OP - James Wellbeloved is a very good quality food and if you can afford it please keep feeding your dog a good quality food (not nessesarily JWB but any good brand), it really pays off in the long run health wise). Generally, with dog food you get what you pay for (obviously there are exceptions, overpricing being the most common!) and if you buy a good quality food, you end up feeding less and it all works out reasonably similar price wise over time. Because with the cheaper food you end up feeding more volume of food (therefore, more poo and you get through a bag of food faster) in contrast to the amount you feed of the higher quality food.

Burns is about the same price as JWB and also an excellent food, may be worth a try. Also, just to note, all dogs are different and simply because a food is brilliant quality doesn't mean it will agree with every dog. There is a particulat brand that really doesn't agree with one of mine but if is perfectly good food. If you are happy with the condition of your dog (and your dog is happy and healthy) then the food you are feeding is doing it's job but sometimes it's just not meant to be. Good luck on your search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I have one of my boxers on Arden Grange,50 euro for a 15 kg bag.He gets about a month out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

imokyrok wrote: »
    On the subject of food what about catfood? I find I spend a fortune trying to keep up with my five cats appetite. A 2kg bag of kitekat of whiskers every second or third day. Does anyone here bulk buy for cats and if so how does that work out financially for you.

The same sort of thing applies to cats also, buy cheap brands like whiskas and kitekat and you will end up feeding more to them. Most good quality brands of dog food also have a cat equivalent (JWB, Royal Canin, Orijen, Applaws and Bozita). One thing about cats though is do not feed them just a diet of dry food, cats need wet food otherwise they do not consume enough liquids and are constantly slightly dehydrated, which can result in kidney problems and the formation of crystals in the urethra (which will result in a very sick cat and a costly operation to remove them).

Have a look through the dry and wet cat food listed on zooplus.ie. A 2kg bag of james wellbeloved costs me about £13 and lasts me over 2 months for one cat (My cat has not got a normal appetite and is also fed wet food but for a regular cat Id say it would last about a month if fed 50/50 wet/dry food).
    Also have a look at bozita wet food, it's very very good quality, at the moment its €56 for 54 cartons of it on zooplus, for a 4kg cat (about the average weight of a cat) it reccommends feeding 450g a day which is a carton and a bit. It works out about €1.30 a day to feed each cat on just wet food. A bit pricey for 5 cats but if you mix both wet and dry together it works out a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

From the research I've done Bakers, Pedigree Chum and basically anything you get in a supermarket is pure muck. Basically it's the equivalent of living on MacDonalds for a human.
    Anything with meat or animal "derivatives" listed is to be avoided like the plague. Same goes for sugar. For a list of stuff to avoid see here
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

Always check the ingredients on a dog food - you might be surprised what some of the relatively more expensive brands have in them sometimes (e.g. Purina Beta Puppy - meat & animal derivatives rather than proper meat)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Our rescue collie x pup has had a dodgy digestive system since we got him in March and we've tried a few different foods - Beta Puppy first because that's what our other pup's previous owner had him on but it's overpriced muck if you ask me (meat and animal derivatives rather than actual meat...not good). That was about €45 I think in Pet Bliss for 15kg.

So then decided to try Orijen Puppy because I'd heard good things about it but it was way way to rich for him and gave him the runs. Plus I think it might have accelerated their growth which worried me. That came in about €65 for a 13.5kg bag I think, from Zooplus UK.

So now I have them on Robbies Chicken from "Land of Holistic Pets" and it's fantastic, I wouldn't go back to using anything else. It's a dehydrated food that you soak - it looks exactly like a pot noodle! Their coats are soft and shiny, they finally have normal poo and they have nice level energy and they love it.
    I order direct from Land of Holistic Pets website in sterling and it works out about €56 for 10kg. They don't charge for delivery and it's fairly quick to arrive because they dispatch from a warehouse in the North. Dog Training Ireland also stocks it and they charge about €58 I think.
    10kg lasts about 3.5 weeks for two medium largish dogs - one's 18kg and one's 22kg. You soak it in warm water so it doubles in volume
    I also get a 7.5kg bag of Luath Chicken (dried kibble) from them too to use as treats and that works out about €26.

So if you look at costs
    Beta puppy was €3 per kg
    Orijen puppy was €4.74 per kg
    Robbies is €5.60 per kg
    Luath is €3.46 per kg (3.38 per kg if you buy the bigger 15 kg bag)

Robbies is definitely the more expensive option but in my experience you get what you pay for. And anyway at the end of the day it's still only €1.60 a day per dog, and we probably spend more than that on coffee in work!! So my two little sods are definitely work a couple of quid a day for decent food.

Advertisement