Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Redacted Reg

Options
  • 21-08-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Why do some sellers cover the reg on the photos of a car?
    Does it usually imply they don't want you running a check on the car or are just selling the wife's car without her knowing??;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Why do some sellers cover the reg on the photos of a car?
    Does it usually imply they don't want you running a check on the car or are just selling the wife's car without her knowing??;)

I dont know but it turns me off straight away. I know I will be slated now for saying that..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Something to do with not wanting unsavory types to get the reg to clone it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Of in the case of a desireable car finding out through the Tax office the registered address of the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

SARASON wrote: »
    I dont know but it turns me off straight away. I know I will be slated now for saying that..;)

+1

Why hide the reg unless youve got something to hide imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I think it's because of cloning mainly, if you ask them and they still won't give you the reg, then that's a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't see it as a big deal really, if you are doing a background check on the car you can ask them for the reg or see it for yourself when you go to view the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I can understand some people are paranoid of cloning or of someone coming and robbing their car and so on...

But from experience of looking for a cheap car recently (in the sub 2k category), I just can't understand why someone would want to block their reg in a photo of a car that's worth peanuts..

It's a pain in the a$s having to ring up the person or wait for a txt/email reply for info on the car, only for me to immediately strike it off the shortlist as soon as I get the results from an online check.

Also, if the seller is sh1t at advertising their car (which is about 80% of car sellers on donedeal/gumtree), then the reg is the only thing that will tell you the spec/engine size of the car without by just doing the free reg look up thing on mywheels.ie etc... and if that's blocked, well the seller is just making his/her car harder to sell.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't see it as a big deal really, if you are doing a background check on the car you can ask them for the reg or see it for yourself when you go to view the car.

It's a pain if you travel a long distance to go look at the car, examine/test drive it, come home and do an online check to find out it's been crashed 18 times in the last week or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Vertakill wrote: »
    It's a pain if you travel a long distance to go look at the car, examine/test drive it, come home and do an online check to find out it's been crashed 18 times in the last week or something...

As I said you can ask them for the reg. If they don't give it then move on to another car.

bazz26 wrote: »
    As I said you can ask them for the reg. If they don't give it then move on to another car.

True true, and I commented on that in my post too (it's time consuming). But I just dont see the point in hiding the reg in for sale adverts.
    If someone is going to the trouble of cloning your car, I'm sure they could just pop you a text/email or even just give you a quick ring to get the reg off you.

Blocking your reg will only deter the very, very laziest of scammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I can understand some people are paranoid of cloning or of someone coming and robbing their car and so on...

Or simply cloning a plate for the automatic tolls...in which case they could be looking for any old ball of sh*te (to match their own)...cost isn't a factor in those cases.

[edit] That said if they weren't lazy they could just ring and ask for the reg after finding a match for their car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yeah, i don't get it at all. Sure everyone sees your reg number when your driving around!

Wertz wrote: »
    [edit] That said if they weren't lazy they could just ring and ask for the reg after finding a match for their car

Yeah that's literally exactly what I meant in my posts.

I'd try and make all the information about my car to be as clear, concise and as accessible as possible when I'm trying to sell a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

True true, and I commented on that in my post too (it's time consuming). But I just dont see the point in hiding the reg in for sale adverts.
    If someone is going to the trouble of cloning your car, I'm sure they could just pop you a text/email or even just give you a quick ring to get the reg off you.

Blocking your reg will only deter the very, very laziest of scammer.

Well I know from asking a few people for a reg number when it was hidden they ask for your home telephone number and give you a ring on that number. I guess a guy looking to clone a car wont be giving you his house phone number.
    jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yeah, i don't get it at all. Sure everyone sees your reg number when your driving around!

Alot easier for a cloner to go online search by make model and colour to suit his clone rather then trying to spot a car around his area.

Advertisement