Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Book Fair this coming Saturday 28th in Cork boi!

Options
  • 21-08-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up! As a part of Cork Heritage Open Day there's a book fair being organized. It's on the Metropole Hotel from 11am to 4pm, Saturday 28th August.

"Book Fair - out of print, antiquarian and collectible books, prints and maps on all subjects, with particular emphasis on Cork city and county. €2 entrance fee."

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

This looks particularly interesting, cheers for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The fair was interesting. It was the first of its kind I've ever been to. Most of the books were Irish and historical, with an unsurprising emphasis on Cork. Lots of James Joyce, and a few signed copies of various things (Roy Foster included ;)). There was a first edition copy of Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea for "£85.00"; perhaps when I'm older and well-off I can start collecting such gems!

In the end I bagged a 5th edition copy of The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations for a mere €3. A bargain, considering the 7th edition retails at €25!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Hey Eliot, at what time did you get to the bookfair? I'm asking because I didn't get there until around 2pm and am wondering whether they shifted a lot of books before I got there or not...

The fair was an eye-opener alright. There were a myriad of interesting obscurities and pretty books there, unfortunatly most were far out of my purchasing power too. However I did pick up two Eric Hobsbawm books, a biography of Jim Larkin and a fascinating looking history of the irish trade union movement - all for the pricely sum of 13 quid. :)

One ingenious bookseller had a shelf of books which had previously belonged to Tomás MacCurtain, and all of which had been name-tagged by him. It would have been nice to have been able to pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

This post has been deleted.

None that I saw, actually. It was mostly copies of Ulysess (the oldest was a sixth edition) with a few other bits, such as a copy of his poetry collection Chamber Music (if I recall correctly).
    Hey Eliot, at what time did you get to the bookfair? I'm asking because I didn't get there until around 2pm and am wondering whether they shifted a lot of books before I got there or not...

I got there at about half past one I'd say. There didn't seem to be that much selling, from what I saw.
    One ingenious bookseller had a shelf of books which had previously belonged to Tomás MacCurtain, and all of which had been name-tagged by him. It would have been nice to have been able to pick one up.

Yeah, that was pretty cool!

• Advertisement
Advertisement