Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pre order cata expansion

Options
  • 21-08-2010 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,anybody know where i can pre order cataclysm online?
    preferably they will accept laser if not thats ok.
    I used to preorder my pc games from gamesnash,but they have stopped stocking pc games.
    thanks in advance:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

From Tom Chilton. Cataclysm still needs a couple more months before it is released. So I would be guessing that everyone speculating over the November release date might be pushed back to December, since a 2010 release date is till on the tables. Really no need to Pre order cataclysm.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

thanks gumble:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,892 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if its anything like the SC2 launch i wont bother. Walmart had a ridiculous amount of stock of ready grab CE's and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

id hardly be flying 3000 miles to visit the closest walmart now would i! lol
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Nope, but we may have identified a nice little sideline earner for Overheal... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Geomatician

Its looking more and more unlikely that Cataclysm will be released in 2010. With the current state of the beta's im not sure how they will dig themselves out of such a large hole in such a minut period of time. Therefore it is probably best to wait with pre-ordering the expansion until around the time the pre-patch event/s will be launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Its looking more and more unlikely that Cataclysm will be released in 2010. With the current state of the beta's im not sure how they will dig themselves out of such a large hole in such a minut period of time. Therefore it is probably best to wait with pre-ordering the expansion until around the time the pre-patch event/s will be launched.
    Havn't really been following...

Is there lotsa trouble with the beta?

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Nope, but we may have identified a nice little sideline earner for Overheal... :D
    I'll see what happens to the price of SC2 CEs before I do anything that resembles investment :pac: at the moment they're bidding less than retail! So heck no.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=starcraft+ii%3A+wings+of+liberty+collector%27s+edition&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Einstein wrote: »
    Havn't really been following...

Is there lotsa trouble with the beta?

Most of the classes are broken currently. Some extremely obscene bugs that surely will take longer than a few months to fix. They promised it will be released in 2010. Therefore it probably will be, simply because they believe revenue is determined by christmas purchasing. Which it isnt. As anyone who plays the game, even at a casual level will buy the new expansion on release or close to release day regardless of when it is launched.

Blizzard/activision have alot of work to do if they want to get a working expansion released by the last quarter of 2010. But they probably will push it through, even if its not ready. I still have my doubts currently that it will be released in 2010 simply because beta is extremely bugged out, but I guess its meant to be :D

• Advertisement

as long as they've backpedaled on that idea they had to cut back Divine Shield by 2 seconds: I don't care...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Cata is basically a huge amount of changes compared to TBC and WOTLK. They need it to be this drastic to improve subscription numbers. I was saying a month ago in guild chat that i couldn;t imagine a november release with how much is left to be done in the beta.

I do like the ideas they're coming up with or copying. Built in power auras is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Most of the classes are broken currently. Some extremely obscene bugs that surely will take longer than a few months to fix.
    Im not in beta and havent really been keeping up with the minutae of those who are. Whats the big problems classes roughly? Is it a numbers thing or are new spells proving problematic?
    Cata is basically a huge amount of changes compared to TBC and WOTLK. They need it to be this drastic to improve subscription numbers.
    Its funny cos at the moment, from what Ive read about beta i really dont see a massive amount of change in it. The jump to tbc and wrath gave us new classes (both times) and new races (once) as well as new professions each time. Both previous expansions featured entirely new continents which freshened the game up radically. They also both introduced radical new raid sizes.
    This time, theres no new classes, no new continent (ok, they redesigned the old world, im just not that excited about that) and 1 very underwhelming new profession (so far). They have done nothing to raiding apart from the lockout change and everything that goes with that (I quite like that change actually, but its not massively radical). About the only thing thats exciting about it as far as i can see is the guild changes. Am i missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The world changes, resource system and talent tree changes are pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Dustaz wrote: »
    Im not in beta and havent really been keeping up with the minutae of those who are. Whats the big problems classes roughly? Is it a numbers thing or are new spells proving problematic?

Its funny cos at the moment, from what Ive read about beta i really dont see a massive amount of change in it. The jump to tbc and wrath gave us new classes (both times) and new races (once) as well as new professions each time. Both previous expansions featured entirely new continents which freshened the game up radically. They also both introduced radical new raid sizes.
    This time, theres no new classes, no new continent (ok, they redesigned the old world, im just not that excited about that) and 1 very underwhelming new profession (so far). They have done nothing to raiding apart from the lockout change and everything that goes with that (I quite like that change actually, but its not massively radical). About the only thing thats exciting about it as far as i can see is the guild changes. Am i missing something?
    I don't think so Dustaz, been thinking along your lines recently too.
    I get the feeling that this is Blizzards way of facelifting the game, and refreshing the basics etc. I'd be interested to see what content patches for cata will hold, I feel they have the potential to be really really good compared to the actual cataclysm expansion itself!

But what do I know :P

Goblins and Worgens are the two new races to come along with Cataclysm. I think what you meant was new classes?

Im not on beta, but I know quite a number who are. I am keeping up with a small amount of information. Beta is at this moment capped at lvl 83. Paladins have endless upon endless of bugs from what I can gather. They havent even begun to think about numbers yet. Everything seems very much placeholder from what I can grasp.

However I have to agree with Gummy Panda. It is a large upheaval of changes. It is much larger than either TBC or WOTLK were. I was on the alpha quite a long time ago now and travelled around Azeroth in air. At this time it was nowhere near fully designed and I couldnt believe the changes I was looking at, although this was a sandbox alpha it was still representative of what was to come as screenshots in beta showed identical information to what I seen.

Old Azeroth is changing so much. It is quite disinteresting currently and very bland to level in. Picking up items with Agility and Spell Power on it will be something of the past, (ok spell power is going but you know what I mean).

If you do want to keep up with it there are some forums on a popular website that are posted on very often and covers both the US and EU playerbase (Not sure I can name the website here but im sure you know the one im talking about :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The world changes, resource system and talent tree changes are pretty big.
    Not really, Theres always talent tree changes with every expansion, just because theres less rather than more doesnt make a huge difference. The world changes, i really dont care that much about plus i get the impression that mostly the world changes affect levelling chars which im not going to be doing. If by the resource system you mean paladins and druids and hunters new mechanics then i guess that could be considered an exciting change but i dont play those classes that much :)
    Goblins and Worgens are the two new races to come along with Cataclysm. I think what you meant was new classes?
    I know, im confused what are you referring to here?

However I have to agree with Gummy Panda. It is a large upheaval of changes. It is much larger than either TBC or WOTLK were. I was on the alpha quite a long time ago now and travelled around Azeroth in air.
    I really dont see where this 'upheaval' is. Wheres the radical differences? When flying was introduced in tbc, that was a radical change. Since a day after that people have been asking to fly in azeroth, so its hardly a huge difference to be able to do it. Yes, it took a huge amount of work, but its merely an extension of flying rather than a new mechanic.
    Old Azeroth is changing so much. It is quite disinteresting currently and very bland to level in. Picking up items with Agility and Spell Power on it will be something of the past, (ok spell power is going but you know what I mean).
    Seriously though, do people REALLY care a lot about this type of thing? Sure its great that levelling 1-60 is jazzed up and the items are more useful, but at this point dont most people have at least 2 or 3 level capped alts? Will people be rushing out to buy the game merely to level 1-60 again?
    If you do want to keep up with it there are some forums on a popular website that are posted on very often and covers both the US and EU playerbase (Not sure I can name the website here but im sure you know the one im talking about :D).
    Why wouldnt you be able to name it. Ive been reading mmo champ for the last 3 or 4 years :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Not really, Theres always talent tree changes with every expansion, just because theres less rather than more doesnt make a huge difference. The world changes, i really dont care that much about plus i get the impression that mostly the world changes affect levelling chars which im not going to be doing. If by the resource system you mean paladins and druids and hunters new mechanics then i guess that could be considered an exciting change but i dont play those classes that much

It's not just a change in the talent trees. The whole system is being redesigned and all the talents. All the classes will be affected in some way. There is also the introduction of guild achievements and the like.
    I really dont see where this 'upheaval' is. Wheres the radical differences? When flying was introduced in tbc, that was a radical change. Since a day after that people have been asking to fly in azeroth, so its hardly a huge difference to be able to do it. Yes, it took a huge amount of work, but its merely an extension of flying rather than a new mechanic.

The original WoW continents weren't designed with flying mount capability. It basically means they have to reprogram every location. This is why they took the opportunity to redesigng everywhere at the ssame time.
    Seriously though, do people REALLY care a lot about this type of thing? Sure its great that levelling 1-60 is jazzed up and the items are more useful, but at this point dont most people have at least 2 or 3 level capped alts? Will people be rushing out to buy the game merely to level 1-60 again?

They want new customers too. Someone new to the game would be bored out of their heads levelling to 60 at the moment because there is noone to level with anymore.

Basically Cataclysm will be an almost completely different game with about as much work put into it as the original wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

wonder where ill be able to walk into to get the ce edition on the day of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

They are completely re making every zone in the original world,
    Basicly scrapped every class and have re designed how it play's talent & mechanic wise for some classes like hunter/paladins/warlocks.

Ow and making flying available in azeroth is a hugeee deal because everything you see is actually like a 2d plane so that means all those towns city's even the tree's and some other im guessing had to be remade so doing that over the entire original game would be a hefty workload.

but then again you dont have to buy it to see this stuff you get the revamp for free im not seeing much reasson to buy the new xpack apart from two races and 5 levels doesnt sound like its worth the money really.

The professions are basicly the same i dont buy the new reforging thing really tho or the relic crap because its not what they originally said it would be but meh better than nothing i suppose.

Anyway this xpack is really a facelift for old players and to try pull in new one's i for one welcome the facelift as i am a alt a holic. I just hope they update the old race model's.

Looking forward to finalllyyyyy having a forsaken hunter weeeeeee

• Advertisement

elexes wrote: »
    wonder where ill be able to walk into to get the ce edition on the day of release.
    Ireland? I have limited experience with launch days in Ireland. My gut says Pre-order to avoid disappointment. Theres what, on average 1, perhaps 2 shops in a town or village that will sevre limited quantities? Contrast that to a US town/city thats served by a Walmart, Kmart, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. and you have to completely different markets. Yes I can walk into walmart and probably expect no line to buy a CE box at 2 in the morning on launch day. But I wouldn't put that same faith in, if I was in Ennis still, say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I have never pre-ordered a game and i have never been disapointed on launch day with not getting a game. The only game i nearly didnt get was Zelda ocarnia of time, but i got that in the end and it was the only game i ever had trouble getting.

Cata will not require a pre-order to get it, there will be more than enough on the day.

The expansion itself, im with dustaz. Nothing appealing to make me keep subing, sure the old world will be fun to fly around in but i predict after everyobody is done questing the lands will become barren and one city will house all and people will just load into instances from there and the novelty of flight will wear off fast in azeroth.

The raiding is just getting dull and boring, all news ive seen so far is just looking like a reskin and i see nothing new and exciting. They are working on alot of raid instances on release? woopdi doo! with the trend the majority of those raids will be rollface easy.

The only thing im interested in that may keep me subbing, they havent released too much info on, which is how the battlegrounds and world pvp will be run. If they do this properly then i will be focusing my fun times on that, if not ill be gone probably forever :cool:

nix wrote: »
    Below average? the average cant kingslayer on normal mode :cool:
    It's a team effort! ;) I stopped playing but I know a lot of guys who should be plenty able to make the grade; the issue is finding 10 such people in the right balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Responding to the OP:
    I pre-ordered the CE of Burning Crusade with Game in Liffey Valley. They got 3 copies on release day (they had 30 pre-orders, or so). Game on Dawson St got 16 (they had 76 pre-orders). HMV in Liffey Valley got none.

I pre-ordered the CE of Wrath on play.com. It was delivered about a week after release, but I didn't mind too much as I was away the previous week and couldn't have played anyway! :)

If you really want the CE, I would pre-order it. But you will be able to walk in and pick up a normal copy on the day, whenever that is.

Offtopic:
    There's a huge amount of work going into making it possible to fly in the Old World. They had to basically start from scratch. You can see the framerate drop from the Old World to BC content, and then again to Wrath content. It's going to drop again going into the new old world, when they up the polygons and make the graphics better.

Some people aren't impressed with overhauling the old content. That's fine - it's a game and people like to do different things in their free time. I am looking forward to levelling my tauren priest and goblin warrior to max level to join my mage, paladin and dk!

How come you quit wow?
    Guild fell apart because my GM was an asshole basically. People kept leaving, getting sick of his negative attitude. Eventually, he brought someone else on who was a kingslayer's alt. The Kingslayer got us past Dreamwalker (even though GM, as my Off-tank partner, kept whispering me dissent through all the attempts) As soon as we get it, the GM basically lauded it around like W00T we killed dreamwalker eat it world! But at the same time he was an ass to the guy who helped us to do it, and after a couple weeks kicked him out for "trying to take over" - The GM has serious control issues, you can imagine.

Shortly after that i just got tired of all of the fuss and gquit, and shortly after that without a guild to jump into I started playing other games and got disinterested over the summer; built a new PC; etc. I tried pugging for about a week to see if I fit in somewhere but I just got some really awful runs. Ode to the arsebandit that kicked people out of the weekly raid after they'd been locked to the starter boss JUST to be arsebandits about it. I lost faith in the playerbase for a while there and yet didnt feel like transferring servers.

Not so much anything to do with the game, which I don't want to blame it on. However, I've admittedly never spent so many hours on a game and seen such little reward. But again thats not the games fault, it was the people I was playing with, and that guild was progressing backwards ever since the dreamwalker 'scandal'

I've applied to another guild and expect to log in for brewfest though. I've still got the gear to where I should be downing most, if not all, of the reg icc10 bosses. Not that I expect to slip directly into kinglsayer attempt raids when I return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Overheal wrote: »
    Guild fell apart because my GM was an asshole basically. People kept leaving, getting sick of his negative attitude. Eventually, he brought someone else on who was a kingslayer's alt. The Kingslayer got us past Dreamwalker (even though GM, as my Off-tank partner, kept whispering me dissent through all the attempts) As soon as we get it, the GM basically lauded it around like W00T we killed dreamwalker eat it world! But at the same time he was an ass to the guy who helped us to do it, and after a couple weeks kicked him out for "trying to take over" - The GM has serious control issues, you can imagine.

Shortly after that i just got tired of all of the fuss and gquit, and shortly after that without a guild to jump into I started playing other games and got disinterested over the summer; built a new PC; etc. I tried pugging for about a week to see if I fit in somewhere but I just got some really awful runs. Ode to the arsebandit that kicked people out of the weekly raid after they'd been locked to the starter boss JUST to be arsebandits about it. I lost faith in the playerbase for a while there and yet didnt feel like transferring servers.

Not so much anything to do with the game, which I don't want to blame it on. However, I've admittedly never spent so many hours on a game and seen such little reward. But again thats not the games fault, it was the people I was playing with, and that guild was progressing backwards ever since the dreamwalker 'scandal'

I've applied to another guild and expect to log in for brewfest though. I've still got the gear to where I should be downing most, if not all, of the reg icc10 bosses. Not that I expect to slip directly into kinglsayer attempt raids when I return.

Ahh raiding always breaks up friendships saw it in vanilla and never went back i always stick to my 5 man's and gear up that way but even then people leave old poetaetoes to raid and i see the change from friendly easy going to moody loot elitist junkie

Advertisement