Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing course after a year?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 4:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi.

(Apologies in advance for all the questions :o)

I have applied to Trinity for Med, but due to my poor performance in the H-pat, I know I haven't got enough to secure a place, despite achieving a very good Leaving Cert. My next choice after Med is "Human Health and Disease" and i'm fairly confident i'll get it. I am very interested in doing this course, but I know it's Med I want to do.

Is it possible to accept this course and only complete a year, while re-sitting the H-Pat and applying through the CAO again? I understand there are fees that I will incur as a result of the change. Does anyone know how much these fees will cost? I've heard that some students who perform exceptionally in their 1st year exams (who are changing to Med) are given the option to skip 1st year if their current course gives them a substantial foundation in the Medicine programme. Can anyone confirm this?

Lastly, I know I will be eligible for a maintenance grant for the duration of my course, but does anyone know if I lose out on the grant if I change course? I also received an offer for Psychology in Queens, but it's for 2011 entry, so I do still have a back-up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Yes you can re-apply to CAO the following year and compete again for Medicine.

No you will not get an exemption from first year Medicine.

Sorry can help with grant query

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

shwagga wrote: »
    Hi.

(Apologies in advance for all the questions :o)

I have applied to Trinity for Med, but due to my poor performance in the H-pat, I know I haven't got enough to secure a place, despite achieving a very good Leaving Cert. My next choice after Med is "Human Health and Disease" and i'm fairly confident i'll get it. I am very interested in doing this course, but I know it's Med I want to do.

Is it possible to accept this course and only complete a year, while re-sitting the H-Pat and applying through the CAO again? I understand there are fees that I will incur as a result of the change. Does anyone know how much these fees will cost? I've heard that some students who perform exceptionally in their 1st year exams (who are changing to Med) are given the option to skip 1st year if their current course gives them a substantial foundation in the Medicine programme. Can anyone confirm this?

Lastly, I know I will be eligible for a maintenance grant for the duration of my course, but does anyone know if I lose out on the grant if I change course? I also received an offer for Psychology in Queens, but it's for 2011 entry, so I do still have a back-up.

Hi,

Regarding your grant, it's based on a case by case basis but generally it operates in a similar manner to college fee's as in they cover you the first time you do a year but not necessarily the second time. This however varies according to your county council and individual case.

HH&D can't skip first med if they receive a place the following year. These rumours only started based on a similar course (UCD's Biomedical Science) allowing certain students who demonstrated exceptional potential (3.5+ GPA) to transfer into pre med at a certain point of their degree.

Advertisement