Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin GPS map Updates

Options
  • 21-08-2010 1:28am

I updated my Garmin last week to find the following omissions
    M9 missing section; Killcullen to Carlow, Carlow to Powerstown, Danesfort to Waterford.
    M3 entirely missing.
    M8 missing section; Abbeyleix by-pass.
    M6 missing section; Athlone to Galway.

I contacted customer support to complain hoping to be offered an actually up-to-date update.
    After a little toing and froing and my reporting faults to various sources the most recent response was;

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Thank you for providing this report. We aim to update our mapping up
    to 4 times a year in order to provide as accurate as possible data, but
    this product is intended to be used only as a travel aid and must not be
    used for any purpose requiring precise measurement of direction,
    distance, location or topography. Garmin makes no warranty as to the
    accuracy or completeness of the map data in this product. You can read
    more about the limited warranty with the paperwork provided with your
    unit."

P-sah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Waterford Bypass and new bridge is missing too, and of course so is the Shannon Tunnel.

It's also very annoying how often Garmin sends you down tiny 6 foot wide roads with grass in the middle when there is a perfectly good main road not far away. Try going from the West side of Waterford City to Tramore!
    Don't know if that is Garmin's or Mapteq's (the map provider) fault, or our Ordnance Survey who won't share data.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

Same experience with Tom Tom update a few months ago. Naas millenium by-pass, open a couple of years, not on it not to mention many other newish routes. Regretted paying 50 Euro "for out of date update". Got nowhere contacting Tom Tom except long winded questionnaires but no update offerred. Won't be caught like that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Yup...Ive had the same problems with TomTom aswell.......having updated both TomTom and Garmin, I would have to say that TomTom updates are the worst

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055656773&highlight=tomtom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

speaking of sat navs.. I just got the co pilot UK and Ireland app for my I phone..

very impressive for 25 euro...

Still sends me down roads with grass though..... the look of bewilderment on the faces of locals when they see a MH on a road barely the size for a bicycle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Same issue here even with latest Garmin Europe 2011.30, no M3, M9 etc.

Annoying :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

e-mail them and ask for a refund tell them if you don't get a positve response with in 48 hours you'll contest the charge with your credit card.

I would cause them more paper work to say no and will probably give in. All it would take you is one phone call to the CC company.

It's also kind of not their fault the OSI over charge for thier maps so they get them from another company and they aren't as up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

e-mail them and ask for a refund tell them if you don't get a positve response with in 48 hours you'll contest the charge with your credit card.

I would cause them more paper work to say no and will probably give in. All it would take you is one phone call to the CC company.

It's also kind of not their fault the OSI over charge for thier maps so they get them from another company and they aren't as up to date

I have the nuMaps, ah well. OSM maps work great anyways and have those roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Same issue here even with latest Garmin Europe 2011.30, no M3, M9 etc.

Annoying :mad:
    2011.30? Dang - I've just finished downloading .20 from the place that shall not be mentioned.... oh well go back and look for .30 - maybe the Shannon tunnel will be on that one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Garmin Map updates are a Joke, I bought mine in 2008 and 2 years later I am being asked to pay over a hundred euros to update the maps!!.

So I bought a holder for my iphone.. was a lot cheaper and Iphone is as good a GPS as Garmin or TomTom...

Anyway for the price of updateing my 2 yearold garmin I could buy a new GPS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Anyone try the speed camera update that's for Ireland for 4.99 on their web site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

That's what I did. Bought a new one. Cost a little bit more but it's newer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Yea but is the new unit up todate withthe new rads etc.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

alex73 wrote: »
    Garmin Map updates are a Joke, I bought mine in 2008 and 2 years later I am being asked to pay over a hundred euros to update the maps!!.

Ive the Garmin lifetime maps, been updating my maps for at least 2 if not 3 years at this stage, about 5 updates every 2 years, great value and far cheaper today

Amazon
    Irish Price: €68.99 approximately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-N%C3%BCmaps-European-Lifetime-Updates/dp/B001PKTDMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291072299&sr=1-1

The Portlaoise bypass is not on the latest map, was up that way this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kent1

Hi Guys,
    I just bought and registered my Garmin Zumo 550 on the Garmin site and it didnt give me any mapping for the new M9 motorway either has anyone else had this problem with such a new update??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I'm on 2011.32 and still no M9 although it has the Waterford City bypass. TomTom app on the iPhone has the full M9 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Just updated the neighbours garmin this evening to 2011.32. Still no m8 around durrow still oddities around tullamore. They are present and correct in the navteq maps for a long time so garmin must have a rubbish deal with navteq or they can't be arsed to service the irish market.
    Tomtom updates seem to be much quicker to market. Also have to say from a programming point of view the garmin software is woeful and their update and delivery system is a joke how can it take hours to download and transfer 2gb of maps and updates. I'll be sticking with the gps in my phone thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

There is a decent looking GPS system in the specials in Lidl from this Monday 31st January.
    I dont know if it is totally up to date , but the spec looks good.
    Only 89.99.

kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Advertisement