Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

toyota avensis 03--->

Options
  • 21-08-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

been looking at the toyota avensis 03 model onwards . they seem to be dropping in value fairly fast here compared to the uk where they hold their value . is there a reason for this or is it just the recession ?
    they look to be a nicely finished car i was thinking of the 1.8 petrol version.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Old models always drop in value quickly once a new model starts establishing itself. The second hand car market has changed here since the introduction of the new tax system in 2008, new cars are alot cheaper than before meaning it has a knock on effect of second hand prices.

There were a glut of petrol models unsold after the change over to the new system making them more expensive to tax (A post July 2008 1.6 litre cost over €600 to tax per year). So dealers offered heavy discounts on them to shift them which in turn dropped the prices of older models even further. Also remember that the earliest examples are heading towards 8 years old now which means they are entering the bargin basement price range.

Definately go for a 1.8 litre Luna model, the 1.6 litre is pretty underpowered, not very fuel efficent and doesn't have the comy Luna seats or climate control. My father has a 2003 1.8 litre with over 200k miles on it and still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I bought a 2006 1.8 luna 2 weeks ago and love it, nice car, more economical than the 1.6.. as i work in a toyota main dealer i got this pretty cheap but what i can see they are a buyers car at the moment for value..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

They were a very popular car in Ireland so I assume it's down to the fact that there's a lot of them for sale. I think they are one of the blandest cars on the road but probably a reliable car nonetheless. The new Avensis has a lot more character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

As others have being saying the 1.6 is probably best avoided. I test drove a 1.6 version once and was quite dissapointed with the pick up from roundabouts and traffic lights. Felt to be a heavy car so would imagine the economy not to be fantastic if your hauling such a heavy vehicle with a 1.6 engine. Can't comment on the fuel economy from my experience though as, as I say I only took it for a test drive.

If your going for the 1.8 though your tax is going to be saucy enough so might be just as wise to consider the diesel. Would imagine a fair few of the 1.8 models are UK imports so if looking at one of these check the underbody well for rust, particularly if it was brought over from London area. They are much more eager to salt the roads there if there is any sign of frosty weather at all. My brother bought a corolla G6 4/5 years ago which was a UK import and the rust on the underbody was quite advanced and severe.

I have heard that the D4D engines can suffer their fair share of problems. Of the top of my head dual mass fly wheel can give trouble but am sure there are other things to look out for. Perhaps PADRAIC.M might be able to provide further guidance in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.8 litre costs €585 to tax per year as opposed to €445 for the 1.6 litre, not exactly a huge difference spread over 12 months and worth it for the extra performance. I had a 1.8 litre for over 4 years and managed to get mid 30s mpg from it which is almost the same as the 1.6 litre.

If you are not doing big mileage then don't bother with the diesel as most 03/04/05 models which I assume the OP is looking at will have high mileage on them at this stage which could mean expensive DMF problems sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 1.8 litre costs €585 to tax per year as opposed to €445 for the 1.6 litre, not exactly a huge difference spread over 12 months

Thats not too bad. I was thinking the difference was more for some reason. All the same though I'd imagine the choice of 1.8 models would not be anywhere near as plentiful as the 1.6 which may well prove detrimental in the OP's search.

Agreed on the diesel. There are far too many who too readily jump on the diesel bandwagon because theyve great economy or theyve "great oul power in em". Yet only do pretty small mileage and fail to realise the potential problems associated with modern diesels which may well negate any savings for the high mileage road user even.

Advertisement