Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac Driveway question ?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I recently powerwashed my tarmac driveway - it was filthy and heaving with moss , the washing has made a huge difference . Only problem is that in a few areas it actually left small bits of the top surface missing - these are very small areas no more than 1 -2 inches wide.
    I have heard that it is possible to ' patch ' these sort of small defects - does anyone know anything about this ?

I really have no confidence in asking someone in the business as I fear they will automatically say the whole thing needs re-doing in full and that is something I just cannot afford . Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

i'm no expert but i have just been looking into this myself.in cork there is a quarry that supplies tarmacadam like the council use in small quantities.also you can get large amounts aswell which i'm looking into.don't be affraid to ask a quarry they'll just supply the stuff.try whelans.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have a similar problem with my tarmac driveway, in a patch where a workvan leaked oil/diesel, which has loosened what bonds the stones. So powerwashing just lifted the stones, so I left it.

I'd like to be able to perhaps cut that section and relay the cold stuff that councils use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Yes you could cut out a small section and tarmac it. There is no need to tarmac the whole drive again....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

A friend of mine runs his own tarmac company. I remember having a conversation with him about potholes being filled and then being in a worse state weeks/months later. I remember him saying that it has to be cut out and not just filled as the previous poster has said. A quick google revealed the following link which may help you in some way Tarmac Repair Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

philboy wrote: »
    A friend of mine runs his own tarmac company. I remember having a conversation with him about potholes being filled and then being in a worse state weeks/months later. I remember him saying that it has to be cut out and not just filled as the previous poster has said. A quick google revealed the following link which may help you in some way Tarmac Repair Linky

Correct.....You actually have to cut a square section out using a stihl saw. The size of the patch doesn't really matter so long as you have a nice neat edge to work with.
    OP, Don't let anybody tell you the whole lot needs doing. I once worked tarmacking driveways and we often did small jobs like yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Many thanks for the replies guys , while on the subject can anyone tell me is it possible to ' blacken ' tarmac ? M driveway looks a bit washed out and I'd like to freshen it up - is there any sort of paint or preparation to do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yes. You can get a tarmac reviver which is basically a sort of paint that you roll on. They sell it in NCF, but then I do live in the wesht. Buckleys or brooks might have it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

when you cut the patch out . the new tar mac will look brand new. so it could infact make the rest of your drive look worse.

also when the new tarmac goes in you will have to over fill the hole to allow for settlement as not to have a puddle sitting in the hole you have just repaired.

Advertisement