Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ANPR camera system - not just for Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

You think they would give free postage on it...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Legal here? (but then again the amount of stuff i've bought off ebay is in a grey area :P)

When I pulled into the Ilac Centre, Dublin car park today, they had this ANPR plus a lovely camera recording your journey into the centre. That is, a camera where you see yourself taking yourself a ticket at the the entrance barrier, all you need to do is smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

lol, I hate those cameras where you can see yourself. Just bought a Roadhawk gurramok, bit of late night impulse buying. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

enjoy the experience Voodoomelon, hope I helped you, and if you do alot of driving, you'll end up posting alot of stuff up :)
    That APNR is well the ultimate monitoring system for 7 grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

How could it not be legal? all it does is record reg numbers. I can do that with a pen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

corktina wrote: »
    How could it not be legal? all it does is record reg numbers. I can do that with a pen.
    Exactly, the only interesting part of ANPR is when it links up to a proper database of tax/insurance/convictions/outstanding warrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

corktina wrote: »
    Data Protection Act - electronic storage of personally identifying information - can only do it for a legitimate purpose and must not store for any longer than required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Hold still... you have exceeded your allowed quota of "remembered information"..

500_mib_neuralizer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Data Protection Act - electronic storage of personally identifying information - can only do it for a legitimate purpose and must not store for any longer than required.
    SO i cant walk around and take photos on my phone of all the car registrations in dublin, because of the DPA?

I seriously doubt it tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DPA doesn't apply to a private individual as the data-holder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

How do reg plates on their own personally identify anyone?
    Unless you're either going to take the names of the drviers of the vehicles you're snapping or you have access to the DoT registration database, then the plate number on it's own is next to useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

The camera is useless without a live database. At least for anything I'd be interested to see.

Advertisement