Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What could be problem?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Audi A4 2001

Was driving home earlier when car got very jumpy and sluggish. By time i was turning into the house it was just about getting there and a yellow warning light had lit up on dash.

The light is the "electronic stabilitation programme"

What could be the problem here? any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

ESP shouldn't affect engine performance in any way I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Massive leap, but..
    Possibly your battery is losing charge. The jumping is the engine failing from no power to the spark plugs.
    The ESP light is unrelated.

Second scenerio.
    It is the ESP. It is interfering with the acceleration of the car through false signalling somehow.

But I am only guessing.
    I would drive it with the ESP switched off to isolate that as a possibility.
    If the car stops it was the battery.

If neither or those scenarios occur its something else altogether!

Can the first scenario be possible unless you have a duff alternator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

The only reason I pose it as a possibility is because I had that happen to me in my first car. It was due to a blown fuse in the engine compartment. It stopped the alternator from charging the battery.

The engine failed in a similar way with little warning. Random amber lights on the dash. Lumpy engine, followed by a total failure and electrical blackout. All on the M50. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

went out and sat into it again. the best way i can describe it is that is vibrating unreal when stationary. then when you drive its jumpy and sluggish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

A fault with any of the ESP sensors may cause limited engine power,
    Steering angle sensor being the one I've most commonly seen do this
    Anyways needs to be hooked up to diagnostics to check codes/data

I suspect the two things(lumpy, sluggish and ESP warning light) aren't related.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Didnt see the last op's post, correct, if its not running correctly stationary then its not a fault with the esp,
    Is this a petrol 1.6??

no its 1.9 tdi.

ya the light coming on might not be direct result but it only came on same time as car felt wrong... it actually wouldnt make it down the road now i think.

Will ring someone in morning to look at it, will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel)? Just guessing....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Pure guess, but I think you could be on "emergency get you home mode". I think you need to plug into the dealers diagnostics...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

aster99 wrote: »
    went out and sat into it again. the best way i can describe it is that is vibrating unreal when stationary. then when you drive its jumpy and sluggish

Injectors. you are down a cylinder.

just after being taken away by a mechanic. he reckons a problem with fuel injector. So last poster you're correct i'd say

also any ideas what type of cost we are looking at here for repairs? Ballpark figure?

Advertisement