Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car washer scratched my car

Options
  • 20-08-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Went and got my car washed just before 6pm. I sat in the car the whole time. As i was closing driver door when i got home i noticed a massive circular scratch that wasnt there before i got it washed. I went straight back there but they were closed. i left a note saying what happened and that i'd be back in the morning. Do i have a leg to stand on if they dont admit liability? :mad:

(cant upload a pic at the moment, seems to be a problem with attachments)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

My sister's car was damaged going through one of those automatic cars washes (the devil's machine IMO) & the garage owner covered the repairs without any issue. He did see it immediately though.
    I assume it was the automatic wash you were talking about?

They do a terrible job the painteork even when they operate properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You'd want to check around the wash or inside the shop for any signs that exclude them from any liability of damage caused by the car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

You'd want to check around the wash or inside the shop for any signs that exclude them from any liability of damage caused by the car wash.

Mmmm....I'm just wondering what the legal basis for those signs are? Its like if you go to a garage and they make a mess of servicing/washing/repairing your car are they liable? Of course they are. The OP's probelm is that they were closed when he returned. They still have a case to answer but these signs around forecourts disclaiming liability are owners chancing their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

What were they using that could have scratched the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You could be right, you'd probably have a fight on your hands if one was displayed and the owner didn't want to know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Id say its highly dependent on the owner. Those car washes are a disaster, my mother used one a few years ago and it managed to bleach the paint on the front bonnet of her car. It went from bright red to pinkish white.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

It wasnt one of the machines it was a manual wash with a power washer and scrubbed with sponges by a bloke. It also wasnt a garage. It was a car valeting business at the local shopping centre. I left a note and stuck it in the door as there was no letterbox.
    I even gave him a tip...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A car wash took the 2 wing mirrors clean off an astra we had years ago. The manager was informed and the garage paid the bill for replacement mirrors. Opel dealer was right next door to the garage at the time :D. The car wash machine had been recently serviced but wasn't calibrated correctly. It did have big wing mirrors though and they didn't fold in. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Scruff wrote: »
    It wasnt one of the machines it was a manual wash with a power washer and scrubbed with sponges by a bloke. It also wasnt a garage. It was a car valeting business at the local shopping centre. I left a note and stuck it in the door as there was no letterbox.
    I even gave him a tip...

well to be honest you sould have looked at the car before you paid the guy and if it was spotted then you could stand for some claim but going back like it could have happened any were. well thats what they would say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lawfullyblonde

You probably have an argument in negligence, but it will be difficult to prove the car wasn't already scratched unless you have some sort of evidence from before you brought it to the carwash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

There's only one way to wash your car, and that is by hand, by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Like this................

HandyJob.jpg

We do washes using all the right techniques and products, if you're in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SARASON wrote: »
    Like this................

HandyJob.jpg
    Funny the first and second time, but getting a bit old now, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Seperate wrote: »
    We do washes using all the right techniques and products, if you're in Dublin.

€19.95 for a wash and dry. Seriously? The right techniques are not hard to learn. The products might be costly but for 2 for 1 in halfrauds, it's better value to do it yourself.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    €19.95 for a wash and dry. Seriously? The right techniques are not hard to learn. The products might be costly but for 2 for 1 in halfrauds, it's better value to do it yourself.

You're comparing it to a normal wash and dry. We take about 30-35 minutes to properly clean a car. It's not a case of spray on caustic chemicals, give it a whack of a brush and rinse off. Your wheels won't get wrecked by acid cleaners, the paint won't be dulled by poor washing & your car will be properly clean.

We clean the backs of the weeks, the wheel arches and tyres, the window rubbers, the petrol cap, inbetween all the badges etc. It's a detailed, thorough clean.

Of course you'll save money doing it yourself, but some people like to have someone else do it .... or live in apartments and not have the space to do it.

Advertisement