Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financing my degree

Options
  • 20-08-2010 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm just looking for some advice here. I'm starting an undergraduate degree in a few weeks time and i'm trying to consider my finance options. I currently have a job which i've only been in for a month, not that I don't enjoy it or anything but because of the job it is I start at half 6 every morning. There is a chance they can keep me on just for weekend work once I start college but considering I will be in college all week, getting up at half 6 on my only days off doesn't tickle my fancy (call me lazy if you must :p). I've applied for the maintenance grant which I hope to get and will have some funds saved up from my wages (roughly 1-2k). Also considering i'm living at home my costs are minimal.. Advice? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Would I be mad to leave my job? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Depends on the funds you need and how much support you can get from family/friends finance wise. I worked the whole way through college (and hte end of secondary school) and it does leave you somewhat knackered. However, i'll continue to work through my postgrad although at slightly reduced hours. I'd suggest see if you can work around your hours, and try it for the first bit, if it's too much or you don't need the money then it's not worth the hassle. If it does suit, it's something to throw on the CV and an excuse not to spend the whole time in bed (i dunno about you, but i certainly dont increase my study when i have time off... :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Tree wrote: »
    Depends on the funds you need and how much support you can get from family/friends finance wise. I worked the whole way through college (and hte end of secondary school) and it does leave you somewhat knackered. However, i'll continue to work through my postgrad although at slightly reduced hours. I'd suggest see if you can work around your hours, and try it for the first bit, if it's too much or you don't need the money then it's not worth the hassle. If it does suit, it's something to throw on the CV and an excuse not to spend the whole time in bed (i dunno about you, but i certainly dont increase my study when i have time off... :) )

Thanks for that. As i said I will still be living at home when in college so I won't have any major expenses compared to those paying rent, bills etc. I think my employer could keep me on for weekends but with half 6 starts every morning the social life will take a bit of a hit :( I guess given the current situation now that I actually have a job I feel like a should hold onto it, bit of a pickle :p

Advertisement